Gigging with one guitar....

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have never broken a string on an electric guitar. I broke one once on an acoustic, but that was not at a paid gig. If I take more than one guitar out, it is usually because I need another one especially for its sound, or something else that it does which my usual one doesn't - although having said that, both my Yamahas (SG2000, SA2200) are versatile instruments.

After the AC30CC2X failed recently, I think I'll take the VJ or similar as a backup: Mr Bandleader appears to be willing to mike up a small combo if he has to. Actually, that Vox failure is the first amplifier failure I've ever had. I've always used Marshalls (Super Lead, Plexis, Bluesbreaker) before, and not had a failure.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    I always take two guitars that I want to play and use both. I don't really have a number one guitar so I can grab any two for any gig.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I can change a string really quick but it needs to be stretched before it will hold it's tuning so I generally have a spare between the two of us for shit paid gigs and more than one spare and a tech to change strings for the better payers

Weddings are the worse gigs to break a string if you don't have a spare .... Specially first dance cos it's videoed so people will see time and time again how the guitarist fecked up
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74468
    TimmyO said:
    Interesting that there are so many people here who can restring so fast that the audience aren't rolling their eyes throughout despite that being the only thing I've seen happen as a punter.
    I once changed a string between the two solos in Hey Joe :). 30-40 seconds I think. Got a huge round of applause afterwards… which I suspect was for the string change rather than the playing!

If it takes you too long to change a string then that's just another aspect of technique you need to practice. It shouldn't take anyone more than two minutes on any guitar.

TimmyO said:
    Does that string stay in tune too? Same observation.
    Yes, absolutely. You just need to stretch it properly.

TimmyO said:
    The bass player whose electrics crapped out at a gig I saw recently probably wished he'd brought one rather than look a fool for the half hour it took the promoter to run home and get hers to lend him.
    That's one reason I like my Rickenbackers - both bass and guitar… stereo electrics. The two pickups and their controls are separate, and there are two output jacks - you can always get at least one pickup working.

I know that's not true of most other guitars, but it is also another reason I don't like active instruments, there's more to go wrong.

TimmyO said:
    You have one, take it. The bravado,isn't cool. 
    It's not bravado, it's a carefully thought out choice between known reliability issues and taking more gear than you have to. I prefer to avoid the reliability issues in other ways than the hassle of carrying an extra guitar or amp, finding somewhere to put it, keeping it safe etc.

Different if you're a professional musician providing a service where lack of interruption is important, but even then how far do you go? I've seen a player break two strings in successive songs, before he had a chance to change the first one - he was still stuffed by that reckoning. Three guitars? Four? How many amps?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    I struggle to take 2 - I struggle to only take 3.......

My Strat and PAF loaded  PRS always go. I then take either my suhr modern,tele, P90 loaded PRS, semi or acoustic depending on the gig/music style being played.

I believe in the right guitar for the song though.  If I had to pick one guitar to play all night, I could (theres a couple that cover HB and SC tones OK) - but would still always take a backup.

I believe that the right guitar for the song is one with strings on :). And in very rare cases, one with a trem - there are a very few songs that do need one to really work.

It does make me laugh that in the old days, even major rock stars would tour with almost nothing in the way of multiple guitars or even spares, still be able to play everything they wanted and not panic about breaking strings, but now every pub covers band guitarist seems to need half a guitar shop on stage... it mostly just comes across as self-indulgent, to me.

No offence intended!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1657
    I take a spare neck and a spare loaded body. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Lots of gigs I've done I haven't even had my own guitar, I've had to rely on borrowed guitars and amps. Never had any complaints.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    I've watched a so-called professional tribute band play the same venue we had played the previous week.

The guitarist broke a string on his SG and spent two songs restringing it. Looked shite, band sounded shite without the guitar, no apologies made which led me to the conclusion, following a thorough investigation, that they were bellends.

I believe everyone should gig with a backup guitar and amp, even if it's one of those EHX .22's or .44's or similar to go into the PA. if someone's paying you to play, you're not there for yourself, you owe it to the audience to at least make an attempt at being professional.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    andy1839 said:
    I've watched a so-called professional tribute band play the same venue we had played the previous week.

The guitarist broke a string on his SG and spent two songs restringing it. Looked shite, band sounded shite without the guitar, no apologies made which led me to the conclusion, following a thorough investigation, that they were bellends.

I believe everyone should gig with a backup guitar and amp, even if it's one of those EHX .22's or .44's or similar to go into the PA. if someone's paying you to play, you're not there for yourself, you owe it to the audience to at least make an attempt at being professional.

Absolutely agreed, but that was because he was useless at restringing, not because he needed another guitar. There's no excuse for taking at least six minutes over one string, even on something with a Floyd let alone an SG.

It does baffle me why so many people can't seem to be bothered to find out how to do it right. Learning how to maintain your gear properly is at least as important a part of being a professional musician as playing the notes is, but for some reason a lot of people seem to think the opposite.

I don't believe everyone should gig with only one guitar either - I just find it annoying when other people insist you "must" take two. Why? I've never needed a spare guitar in thirty years, and that includes having broken strings on stage. OK, I don't play as many gigs as some of you.

An EH Magnum doesn't go into the PA unless you want to fry something, by the way ;). I do take a pedal I can plug into the PA in case of dire emergencies too.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Would only take a second guitar if it was low cost
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    Nah, take the best you have.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sassafras;635143" said:
    Lots of gigs I've done I haven't even had my own guitar, I've had to rely on borrowed guitars and amps. Never had any complaints.
    Are you Chuck Berry, by any chance?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    No, I'm Marty Mc Fly.
  • If you're doing any sort of paid gig, carrying a spare guitar is a must. No matter how quick you can change a string, it still looks crap if you're faffing about doing it in the middle of a set.

Not to mention the fact that knackering your jack socket is just as easy, all you need to do is step on your lead and pull the guitar at the same time. 

I'll normally use a main guitar and a spare, both with fresh strings on. I'll typically keep changing the main guitars strings every couple of gigs to minimise breaks, and the spare normally stays fresh through a whole bunch of shows.

And yes, we take spare leads and amps too. Especially if you're using a valve amp.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    ICBM said:
    It does make me laugh that in the old days, even major rock stars would tour with almost nothing in the way of multiple guitars or even spares, still be able to play everything they wanted and not panic about breaking strings, but now every pub covers band guitarist seems to need half a guitar shop on stage... it mostly just comes across as self-indulgent, to me.
    At the lower end of the market (ie touring on a budget!) they still do. I brought Richie Kotzen over in 2010 to do a 2 week, 10 show tour. He arrived with a single guitar, leads, zoom g2 and lots of strings. Changed his ow strings before every show.

The most recent rig run down on Premier Guitar for Wayne Krantz, he also says he`s just travelling with one guitar - suhr I believe.

I usually take one guitar when I gig, the prospect of the amp breaking down worries me far more than my passive strat with the trem locked down suffering a terminal problem!

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    If you're doing any sort of paid gig, carrying a spare guitar is a must. No matter how quick you can change a string, it still looks crap if you're faffing about doing it in the middle of a set.

Not to mention the fact that knackering your jack socket is just as easy, all you need to do is step on your lead and pull the guitar at the same time. 

I'll normally use a main guitar and a spare, both with fresh strings on. I'll typically keep changing the main guitars strings every couple of gigs to minimise breaks, and the spare normally stays fresh through a whole bunch of shows.

And yes, we take spare leads and amps too. Especially if you're using a valve amp.
    I was doing an open air gig once and the guy in the support acts Les Paul jack socket just fell to bits when he pulled the lead out after soundcheck.  With no spare with him I had to cut the end off his guitar lead and soldered it directly to the wires with my Gas iron

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 387
    Tell you what, I would be more prepared to gig with a single guitar and amp that I knew were well maintained and reliable than leave that aspect to chance and take two of everything.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A POD should cover any amp faults if theor is a PA. Two guitars if your gigging a Floyd, otherwise spare strings.
    Only if you don't run the cable through the strap, and if you're any kind of professional musician you should know better than to not do.

Knackering a proper Switchcraft jack is actually pretty difficult. If you've still got some crappy far-east-made one in your guitar, change it.

matt1973 said:
    Tell you what, I would be more prepared to gig with a single guitar and amp that I knew were well maintained and reliable than leave that aspect to chance and take two of everything.
    Exactly.