Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Oh yeah?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BongadavBongadav Frets: 2
    edited May 2015

Hello,
    Sorry, messed that one up!
    Can anyone give me some advice please? I've just bought a solid bodied parlour guitar and the E and A bass strings sound very dull and boxy. 
    It's a Tanglewood Java. I tried one in a shop and liked it, then saw one for sale online, it doesn't sound the same, I know - buy local!
    Would changing the strings liven it up? Can anyone recommend a set of bright lively strings? I think its got D'Addario EXP16 at the moment.
    Thanks
  • jazzlemmingjazzlemming Frets: 36
    edited May 2015
    I don't like those D'addario EXP strings. I bought a load when they were on offer and quickly regretted it. My Taylor GS Mini came to life when I put some Newtone strings on it. Not particularly bright, but beautiful and so much better than the EXPs. I think heavier strings are better on small bodies, 13s. 

Thanks Jazz. I've read elsewhere about the Newtones elsewhere also, I'll get some! I'm a relative beginner though and would rather extra-light or light strings. What do you think?

What about the Newtone Django's? They sound like what I'm after?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    I like D'Addario EXPs, and they brought my Taylor (a 310 Dreadnought) to life - much deeper bass. As it's the E and A strings you're not happy with I suspect it's more to do with gauge. EXP16s are quite light, and I'd guess your parlour is short scale - in which case you could get away with a heavier gauge string without them having excessive tension. The tone would be fuller, for sure.

Does Tanglewood suggest a gauge for that model?

I'm not 100% certain they are EXp's. I've read that's what they come with, so I'm assuming they are. I'm wondering if replacing the nut and bridge with bone would be good. There is a good luthier who comes locally every 2 weeks or so, I'll ask if he's prepared to do it. The guitar is as new so I'm rather scared to go knocking off the nut, with me things never go to plan!
     Obviously just replacing the strings is so much easier and cheaper. I'll ask Tanglewood tomorrow about the string guage. Thanks for the help.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    It is worth sending it back (assuming it wasn't used)

I would go and buy the one you liked the sound of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks Gru. Yes it has crossed my mind. Its just a lovely looking guitar, if just changing the strings works? Then brilliant.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Send it back and buy local. If it doesn't have the sound, it doesn't have the sound. A string change might improve it but it will almost certainly never be as good as the one you played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein