Performance of Rodrigo

What's Hot
FrankieabbotFrankieabbot Frets: 96
concierto de Aranjuez last night in York. Soloist Craig Ogden. Absolutely brilliant. Then played encore piece without orchestra called Asturias. The kind of virtuosity that either inspires you....Or makes you want to chuck your guitar away.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Both amazing pieces, "Asturias"(also known as "Leyenda") has been know to drive many a guitarist to switch to piano..... 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    concierto de Aranjuez last night in York. Soloist Craig Ogden. Absolutely brilliant. Then played encore piece without orchestra called Asturias. The kind of virtuosity that either inspires you....Or makes you want to chuck your guitar away.
    Would love to have seen that.  If I'd known I would have gone.

Here's the guitar concerto for people that maybe don't know it

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2448
    I was there.  It was awesome.  Concerto de Aranjeuz was my favourite piece by far.   Fortunately for me, the guitar masterclass (which was on yesterday) was only 20 seconds away from my uni digs.  3 hours of expert insight, which cost me nothing! As opposed to wanting to throw my guitar away, I left feeling utterly inspired.  One thing he said that stood out for me was:

"Playing guitar is good, getting better at guitar is awesome."

Not only is Craig is a brilliant player, he's really nice, down to earth guy too.  And to hear a Smallman being masterfully played in an intimate setting is something to behold.

Excellent weekend.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    Asturias is one of my favourite classical pieces. Here's John Williams showing how it's done:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:
    I was there.  It was awesome.  Concerto de Aranjeuz was my favourite piece by far.   Fortunately for me, the guitar masterclass (which was on yesterday) was only 20 seconds away from my uni digs.  3 hours of expert insight, which cost me nothing! As opposed to wanting to throw my guitar away, I left feeling utterly inspired.  One thing he said that stood out for me was:

"Playing guitar is good, getting better at guitar is awesome."

Not only is Craig is a brilliant player, he's really nice, down to earth guy too.  And to hear a Smallman being masterfully played in an intimate setting is something to behold.

Excellent weekend.

I missed the master class. May have missed a motivational opportunity there as well as a learning one. I noticed that Mr Ogdens fingers were quite small....Is your reference to Smallman guitar in indication he has a custom made or 3/4 size guitar?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I've seen John Williams play the Concerto de Aranjuez, and it's one if the most inspiring live performances I've ever been at. Totally magical and almost the definition of classical guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3357
    I missed the master class. May have missed a motivational opportunity there as well as a learning one. I noticed that Mr Ogdens fingers were quite small....Is your reference to Smallman guitar in indication he has a custom made or 3/4 size guitar?
    He plays a Greg Smallman guitar...'spensive!
    Both amazing pieces, "Asturias"(also known as "Leyenda") has been know to drive many a guitarist to switch to piano..... 
    Irony!
    You're not kidding. £25,000 worth so we were told!  Sounded amazing though.

It really was a motivational class.  It's a shame you missed it.  I highly recommend you going to one (any masterclass for that matter) when he does one again. Players' like that with so much experience often have interesting insights and approaches to the guitar.  Totally revived my determination to get to a good standard on classical and has taken the 'chore' out of learning.
  • I missed the master class. May have missed a motivational opportunity there as well as a learning one. I noticed that Mr Ogdens fingers were quite small....Is your reference to Smallman guitar in indication he has a custom made or 3/4 size guitar?
    Indeed sir. Not much change from 20 grand.
    Did he tell the story of the stolen guitar? Outrageous!
    He did. Absolutely scandalous. I imagine his insurers weren't too happy about it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:

It really was a motivational class.  It's a shame you missed it.  I highly recommend you going to one (any masterclass for that matter) when he does one again. Players' like that with so much experience often have interesting insights and approaches to the guitar.  Totally revived my determination to get to a good standard on classical and has taken the 'chore' out of learning.
    Hopefully Mr Ogden didn't state the (rather glib and patronising) comment that some 'better' guitarists make of 'Its all under the fingers'.
  • FrankieabbotFrankieabbot Frets: 96
    edited May 2015
    Double post. Apologies.
    beed84 said:

Hopefully Mr Ogden didn't state the (rather glib and patronising) comment that some 'better' guitarists make of 'Its all under the fingers'.
    No, that wasn't uttered once; however, although he wasn't explicit in saying this, he did allude to something along the lines of 'you'll sound better if you have fingernails'.