Fralin Domino Pickup substitute?

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 196
edited May 2015 in Guitar
I have a couple of EGII's with Fralin Domino pickups and I love them.
I was in the market for another EGII but because I couldn't source one I've bought an EG3 instead.
I'm looking to swap out the single coil Duncan's in there for something that would have a similar tone to the Fralins.
Any ideas?
My EG3 with Seymour Duncan pick ups just doesn't have the balls like my EGII, luckily there's a swimming pool route under the scratch plate so I can chuck anything in there. http://i.imgur.com/tCHn0ny.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What a fabulous looking guitar though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23788

Weren't the Fralins designed to sound like single-coils, but hum-cancelling due to the P-bass style coil setup?

I don't know what they actually sound like but I'd guess the closest you're going to get now would be a set of hotter conventional single-coils.

I always thought it would be quite cool to put three Firebird pickups in one of those EGs.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I love the EG. Had about 4 I think. The singlecoils in the iii are crap though, I tried an sd quarter pounder and a dimarzio hs2 , the hs was best made it come alive and stop sounding so polite and plain.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    edited May 2015
    The Fralin Dominos are awesome. The EG2 is the only PRS I actually like.

Why would you mod one to be like the other two you already have, though? Seems a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 196
    edited May 2015
    I use both the others in my main band so it would be counterproductive to remove any of the Fralins.
    I've just bought a used creamery domino pick up which supposed to be hot p90 sounding and I'm hoping that it gets somewhere near the fralin tone.
    They look pretty cool too
    http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/images/galleries/Wide-O/Wide-O Single Coil Viced Humbucker Pickups/Creamery_Custom_Handwound_Wide-O_Single_Coil_Voiced_Humbucker_Pickup_sm.jpg
    If it sounds good I'll put another one in the neck and slap a HFS in the bridge
    edited May 2015
    Loobs said:
    The Fralin Dominos are awesome. The EG2 is the only PRS I actually like.

Why would you mod one to be like the other two you already have, though? Seems a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Because I play in a couple of bands and one band plays a semitone down from concert.
    I prefer to have a guitar set up for each tuning, so I don't have to faff around all the time.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    You don't have to pick up Dominos, they deliver.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    I'm not making that mistake again, I ended up with manky cheese on my g string... ooer missus