intonation question

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090

I was looking at the wrapover junior bridge ( or any factory set LP for that matter) and thought to myself.....Hmmm the b string saddle sits just behind the high E string saddle to adjust for string thickness and the G string saddle sits just behind the b string and so on, so far so good, ,but wait a mo.....why does the D string stop the sequence.......why is the D string in line with the B string ?

any thoughts o clever ones?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10781
    edited May 2015
    The wound strings have different vibration and tension characteristics so intonation is different. You probably have all your leccy guitars set up like that too, if they have individual bridge adjustment and are in tune.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Good question, @hootsmon !  I guess it's to do with he fact that the D, A, and bottom E strings are wound, but I've no idea what the science is...
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    The difference between wound and plain strings.

With a wound 3rd, you'd need the G string compensation in front of the D string.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73234
    The intonation of a wound string depends on the core, which is much thinner - that's the bit that carries the tension and is stretched when you fret a note, which is what you're compensating for. The winding just adds mass.

The wound D string has about the same core diameter as a plain B string, and the A about the same as the G, so they intonate roughly the same.

Clever enough? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090

^ you're the man  :)

thanks  Bro

tae be or not tae be