There's no money in music....

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 961
edited May 2015 in Guitar

....or so I thought! https://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/gear4music-reveals-25m-aim-float-plan/020015

Gear4Music worth £25m!?! I know they're one of the first box-pushes in the current model, buy they're not even on my radar when I buy online. I think they do sell a lot through Amazon though. Will be interesting to see if they manage the float!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3190
    Guitarists tend to forget there is a lot more to the music business than just guitars amps and pedals
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2650
    Article also implies a lot of their business is outside the UK.

It would be good to see some UK companies going toe to toe with the Germans.  They will have to raise the bar a bit to compete in terms of service, which can only benefit UK customers.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    Just read this in the financial papers and it really surprised me TBH.

37% underlying sales growth so far in 2015?
    :-O

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    It seems others are trying to get in on the act, Claas Ohlson are now selling M-Audio soundcards, GHS Boomers, capos, stands etc....
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I've had quite a bit of gear from them recently, They're very good to deal with IMO. They have a brand new purpose built huge showroom up in York which I wouldn't mind a shuffty at one day.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7838
    The interesting thing about Gear4Music is that they are VAT registered in other countries... this means that I can buy from them and not worry about TAX / Import etc.. when factoring that in they are extremely competitive and often beat Thomann for price.

However their stock levels / expected back order dates are often just plain fiction. I have learnt to email them first, place order 2nd.

They were also the place that told me Moog stopped the M104 production, before Moog announced it....
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 95
    I've had great dealings with gear4music. First time I was browsing and they had a great deal on a lp trad. I added it to my basket but fearful of the wrath from my other half I didn't buy. The next day I thought I will go for it but the price had gone back up so I emailed them and they didn't match it they reduced it further so I got an absolute bargain and it arrived a1. The second time I brought a sub zero amp second hand off a local guy it developed a fault and he only had it 4 months so I contacted them and they honoured the warrenty even though I wasn't the first owner. Top stuff imo.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    The showroom is ok, fairly big but it is not all guitar gear. They didn't do trade ins when I asked so I think all the gear is new. When I went there was a wall of headphones so you could actually test things out, which is something I don't think any of the Manchester music shops have. The staff were nice.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Neil said:
    Just read this in the financial papers and it really surprised me TBH.

37% underlying sales growth so far in 2015?
    :-O
    All funded on credit. I'd float too and take the money before the bubble bursts again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7838
    t1000 said:
    I've had great dealings with gear4music. First time I was browsing and they had a great deal on a lp trad. I added it to my basket but fearful of the wrath from my other half I didn't buy. The next day I thought I will go for it but the price had gone back up so I emailed them and they didn't match it they reduced it further so I got an absolute bargain and it arrived a1. The second time I brought a sub zero amp second hand off a local guy it developed a fault and he only had it 4 months so I contacted them and they honoured the warrenty even though I wasn't the first owner. Top stuff imo.
    Regarding the warranty, that is top service as normally manufacturers won't touch  grey market items with a the proverbial barge poll... 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    Ordered a couple of things from them, been fine. They used to have a lot of the education contracts, so would have orders for whole brass bands and things like that which, presumably, helped build the business.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Only thing I dislike about them is you can pay by Paypal but you have to enter all your details. Always find that crappy.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.  Good pricing, speedy delivery.  Most recently a new ZVex Vexter Fat Fuzz Factory, £99 (£53 cheaper than anywhere-else at the time and still £30 less than I can find one today), ordered at 2pm-ish, arrived the next morning.

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Spuds4u

Knickers4her

Socks4him

Gear4music always comes across as a tad Primark for some unknown reason ;)