2015 LP Deluxe - adding a knob

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4791
edited May 2015 in Guitar
I hate the mini switch for the additional 15dB boost.  How easy would it be to be substitute a push-push know to match the other three?

Assuming there's enough space of course in the cavity of course, just a small hole through the body for the pointy end of the switch and Bob is your uncle presumably.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    You should be able to open it up with a reamer then fire a pot in.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Adam_MD said:
    So he needs to give it a good reaming before it will accommodate another knob?

This is the sort of invaluable information this forum excels in. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rox;638703" said:
    Adam_MD said:

I specifically said pot because I knew some filth merchant would jump all over it if I put knob. Well done @Rox I dub thee Sir Filth Merchant ;)
    Adam_MD said:
    Rox;638703" said:
    Adam_MD said:

I specifically said pot because I knew some filth merchant would jump all over it if I put knob. Well done @Rox I dub thee Sir Filth Merchant ;)
    Then my work here is done!

*disappears in a cloud of innuendo*
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2460
    edited May 2015

I have a 2014 Classic and am pondering the same thing.  Internet rumour has it though that the electronics on '14 & '15 models are mounted on a PCB and therefore not as easy as just replacing the toggle with a pot.

Someone with a far greater electronic mind than mine will need to put us right on this though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Take the cover off the back and take a gander.  It's the only way to know for sure what's inside your guitar. :)
    StefB;638784" said:
    I have a 2014 Classic and am pondering the same thing.  Internet rumour has it though that the electronics on '14 & '15 models are mounted on a PCB and therefore not as easy as just replacing the toggle with a pot.

Someone with a far greater electronic mind than mine will need to put us right on this though.
    I haven't looked in a 2015 but even If they are all board mounted you could just rewire the guitar and remove the board.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4791
    edited May 2015
    StefB said:

Good point and it isn't a rumour.  My 2015 Studio has a PCB and all the connections are via tiny little connectors - how very 21st century - rather than fucking great blobs of solder.

Rox said:
    Take the cover off the back and take a gander.  It's the only way to know for sure what's inside your guitar. :)
    I can see the shop assistant getting a wee bit unhappy about that..............
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    Remove the whole lot and rewire it the proper way with four high-quality pots and all-soldered connections. It's more reliable in the long term.

Keep the PCB and the other crap in case you ever want to sell the guitar.

If you want a 15dB boost there are useful little things you can buy called pedals, you can use them with any guitar and even turn them on and off with your foot while playing, without having to interrupt your picking! What will they think of next?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Hand it to chappers :p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    I can see the shop assistant getting a wee bit unhappy about that..............
    Well, you didn't say the guitar was still in the shop...  ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    Remove the whole lot and rewire it the proper way with four high-quality pots and all-soldered connections. It's more reliable in the long term.

Keep the PCB and the other crap in case you ever want to sell the guitar.

If you want a 15dB boost there are useful little things you can buy called pedals, you can use them with any guitar and even turn them on and off with your foot while playing, without having to interrupt your picking! What will they think of next?
    I detect a tiny hint of cynicism here :-)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Lol he has a point, it was never a problem that need solving.