Any non metal Baritone users out there?

What's Hot
SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
Intrigued by a blog from David Grissom regards his use of a Baritone guitar in certain songs of his i've been looking round at different models, Many seem to be aimed squarely at the Nu metal market, but i would love to know what other models people out there are using and for what type of music.............

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited May 2015
    There is/was a Fender baritone Telecaster. You can also get baritone conversion rates for Fenders if you want to put a baritone neck on a Start or Tele body, can't remember who makes them (Warmoth?).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13054
    I just bought a baritone and I'm very much not a metal head. Mine is a harley Benton copy of the Eastwood Sidejack, so a kind of sixties mosrite effort.

I don't have any preconceptions about what I'm going to do with it but last night I found myself cranking up the reverb and playing loads of surf-guitar clichés, along with some spooky arpeggiated stuff.

To be honest, I think you could use one exactly as you would a "normal' guitar except it has a very different timbre.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13054
    Bear in mind that is very easy to convert a normal guitar into a baritone. Just take the lowest five strings and move them up one position and then find a suitable single string for the lowest B.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    d'addario are about to bring out a new NYXL 7 string set that goes 10-70. Take the 10 off and its a perfect baritone set
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    I've got several that I use for something completely different
    Fingerstyle playing, a little like on an acoustic, with huge deep bass notes

I have one 30 inch Schecter tuned in a deeper version of DADGAD, and a schecter 30 inch metal one with EMG 89s that works very well

Also a 27 inch tele tuned D-D, that is for slightly dropped blues

The latest step I have taken is a 35 inch 7 string bass, intended for the same approach

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Have a Jaguar Baritone Custom (Japan) and it is a baritone version of a regular jag, def not metal.  Love it, well built and stock apart form having SD Jag p/ups fitted (hot at bridge, vintage at neck) tuned 5 semitones lower than standard.  The "spaghetti western" tone is def there; however, it is the only guitar that isn't overwhelmed by the Highland Bagpipes which are in Bb, or near as. Tune baritone to A sus4 and capoed at the first fret its the Bb equivalent of DADGAD and works well with the pipes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    excellent, another baritone DADGAD fan
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196

Try it in AEEBEB - five semitones below DAAEAE, the pibroch tuning
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 724
    Baratone fingerstyle DADGAD? this I need to hear!
    edited May 2015

edited May 2015
    Have a Jaguar Baritone Custom (Japan) and it is a baritone version of a regular jag, def not metal.  Love it, well built and stock apart form having SD Jag p/ups fitted (hot at bridge, vintage at neck) tuned 5 semitones lower than standard.  The "spaghetti western" tone is def there; however, it is the only guitar that isn't overwhelmed by the Highland Bagpipes which are in Bb, or near as. Tune baritone to A sus4 and capoed at the first fret its the Bb equivalent of DADGAD and works well with the pipes
    Saw a really good band the other week that have developed a spaghetti-western sound into their style:
    spotify:artist:39FgrptlahqFCsBIcXSYqR

So good I bought their CD, it's been played a lot in our house
    No baritones though I am sorry...

Try it in AEEBEB - five semitones below DAAEAE, the pibroch tuning
    ahhh when I had a VG99, I had a tuning set to AEAAAD

I'll try to get AEEBEB dialled in soon