Come on,don't be embarrassed,name me some good Hair Metal.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Whitesnake's 1984. What an album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    gusman2x;645239" said:
    Whitesnake's 1984. What an album.
    Van Halen's 1987 pisses all over that.

;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenRCDarrenRC Frets: 1
    FM - Tough it out from 1989. I still listen to that now. They supported Bon Jovi on the slippery when wet tour and because fm where good they kicked them off the remainder of the tour.....from what I heard lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Early Gotthard stuff... noteworthy albums: Gotthard, Dial Hard, G.

Does early Armored Saint count or are they 'too metal'?

For more recent stuff I'd consider... The Poodles. Some Jorn albums too.

I mean I guess if we are going for the era more than the style. Like I wouldn't call Quireboys hair metal, I would tag them blues/pub rock and I would call FM AOR... Maybe I'm too pedantic.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

and this, later 80's with a fantastic intro.

Ronnie LeTekro's tone = best use of a Boss BF-2 ever.
    Only just seen this @bingefeller

I was unaware of his clever BF-2 use, I've not heard a great deal of TNT, but love that intro tone, which, I assume, has no Flange on, to my ears anyway.

I did once do a bit of searching for how he got that tone in the track though and I forget what I found, but this was goo reading.

I thought I'd read elsewhere that he uses very clever or odd combinations of Pick ups. eg, mismatching them, but achieving fantastic results. Bad explanation I know, but, it was a while since I read all this bumf.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I was unaware of his clever BF-2 use, I've not heard a great deal of TNT, but love that intro tone, which, I assume, has no Flange on, to my ears anyway.

I did once do a bit of searching for how he got that tone in the track though and I forget what I found, but this was goo reading.

I thought I'd read elsewhere that he uses very clever or odd combinations of Pick ups. eg, mismatching them, but achieving fantastic results. Bad explanation I know, but, it was a while since I read all this bumf.

As far as Im aware all of his guitar sounds has a flanger as a filter. He uses the boss bf2 and keeps the manual knob all the way up and everything else is rolled off.

As far as Im aware all of his guitar sounds has a flanger as a filter. He uses the boss bf2 and keeps the manual knob all the way up and everything else is rolled off.
    That's interesting, I've not used a BF-2, I just have the MXR which only has Rate and Regen, but I like the sound I get with those 2 rolled back. I'd expect the extra 2 controls on the Boss make a big difference.

Whatever he did he made it sound wonderful anyway.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Has anyone yet mentioned Fifth Angel? Their first album with James Byrd on guitar is excellent. Great vocals, memorable songs from start to finish with cool melodies and fantastic guitar playing.

JB left and they did a second album called Time Will Tell which is also good, but more commercial - don't read commercial as light pop rock - its still hard rock, but has a different feel to it. Again, good guitaring for sure.

Ken Mary was in this band when Alice Cooper nabbed him. Superb drummer.

They're a band that not many people know, but really worth listening to.
    Honeymoon Suite were a bit hit and miss, but for excellent Canadian driving rock, check out the 'Racing After Midnight' album. Again, just simply a brilliant album with them also having the title song from the first Lethal Weapon film as the last song on this album.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    edited May 2015
    @hubobulous  That first Fifth Angel album was great, I think I voted for it as my number one album that year (1986?) in the Kerrang! poll. They were more of a "proper metal" band in the Dio mould I'd say, although looking back from today's perspective they do seem like hair metal!  :D

The other debut album I remember from that year, in a similar vein, was Crimson Glory.

Honeymoon Suite... I wasn't a fan, but the only album of theirs I have is The Big Prize, I haven't heard anything else.  I seem to recall debating their merits with Jonathan from Feline Guitars (....or was that Brighton Rock?).

Thinking of Canadian bands, the first Headpins album was great.  And remember Lee Aaron?

@Philly_Q - re. Honeymoon Suite. A very hit a miss band and the Big Prize is ok. But Racing After Midnight really is something much, much better. Really good album