advice for home studio

What's Hot
ok ...im setting up a home studio to do some good quality demos...im thinking computer wise a imac...not sure about other gear ....any body have any pointers on good quality gear that wont break the bank ..lol...right now its a blank canvas so any ideas are good :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    How big is the room? What will you be recording (amp modeller or real amp, vocals, acoustic guitar, keyboards, MIDI) ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Fretwired;640333" said:
    How big is the room? What will you be recording (amp modeller or real amp, vocals, acoustic guitar, keyboards, MIDI) ...
    the room is 3.5 metres by 4 metres ..i would probably like to record real amp but dont mind modellers either ...yeah vocals ...guitar synth /midi
    My setup is a powerful Windows PC with:

DAW: Cubase
    Monitors: Yamaha HS7s
    Soundcard: Steinberg UR44
    Amp modeller: POD HD Pro, POD2, Amplitube software
    Drum machine: NI Maschine
    Soft syns: NI Komplete
    Roland guitar synth
    Fender amp and SM57 mic

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10484

I would build a vocal booth that's big enough to also put an amp in .... best of both worlds then. Computer wise a used Mac Pro is a good choice, no need to break the bank ours is nearly 10 years old yet still capable of 90 track recording and mixing

Software wise I would go Protools first, if not that then Logic, if not that then Reaper
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26889
    In terms of hardware, I can officially recommend one of these:

Clear and quiet preamps, no awkward setup, no fancy routing and DSP options, and plenty of inputs. It's more than enough to get your feet wet and figure out what you want to do.

Also...two or three mics would be a good idea. I'm currently using:

Don't forget cables and mic stands/clamps.

For software...I personally recommend Reaper. Not only is it cheap, but it's really easy to use and works on both OS X and Windows (and Linux, if you can be bothered). Then you need to start looking at tutorials and start picking up free VST plugins until you've learned the ropes and know what you need to take it further.

Learning this sort of thing is definitely one of those "You won't know what you need to know until you know a bit more about it" things. Just take it slow, and try not to get frustrated by the apparent lack of initial progress.
    <space for hire>
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    For monitoring, I've just got a set of Focal Alpha 65s. Sound awesome if they're in your budget!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    thanks for the input everybody ...some really good info here ..i need to do some internet searching .....what about computers mac or pc...sort of got my heart set on a mac but not certain
    Barney said:
    thanks for the input everybody ...some really good info here ..i need to do some internet searching .....what about computers mac or pc...sort of got my heart set on a mac but not certain
    If you walk into a high-end studio it will probably be full of Macs and Pro Tools. However, for the home studio it's probably more PC orientated due to cost and convenience. I use Apple kit at work, so have no axe to grind, and a PC for my music as I find it cost-effective and flexible. I'm just about to add a 4TB hard drive to back up my projects. PCs are easy to upgrade should the need arise.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2095
    Mac Mini 2012..full spec 2.3G i7 16G ram.

be around £600, then try Studio One V3 new demo just out now....mind blowing.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6209
    Tangent Q: comparing like-for like (amount of memory, CPU speed, etc), is there much difference in latency between Macs and PCs?
    goldtop said:
    Tangent Q: comparing like-for like (amount of memory, CPU speed, etc), is there much difference in latency between Macs and PCs?
    None to speak of. When I tried it, Reaper on OS X had almost exactly the same latency (0.1ms slower on the Mac, but that's not worth worrying about) on two different interfaces compared with Windows 7 running on the same machine (2007 Macbook Pro).
    <space for hire>
    Thanks - was half-wondering about getting an old 2GHz Mac Mini (and maybe adding an SSD) but will stick to the i5/3GHz/6GB PC laptop for now.
    I was going to put the ssd in my Mac but to be honest, I'm running a a decent setup now and I have found no need for the SSD. I do use an external drive to store all my songs.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Thanks for the SSD advice. My laptop has a lowly 5400rpm HDD, and it seems that it's the weakest link in the system. But perhaps that's only a problem for big projects that can't be held entirely in memory?

Meanwhile, I've been trying to understand latency/etc before unnecessary spending. The rest of the system and driver DLLs seem OK according to the DPClat.exe checker from here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

(To be honest, a lot of this stuff goes over my head, and I haven't really got the motivation to dig deeper into it!)
    The benefits of an SSD can't be overstated - replace your main drive with one, and you'll swear it's like a new machine.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The benefits of an SSD can't be overstated - replace your main drive with one, and you'll swear it's like a new machine.
    <br/ But too what advantage? A fast boot up time , surely you are talking seconds,? Maybe faster load up of plug ins? Im it saying it's not a good thing, I'm sure I would love it, but is it really worth it if your on a budget?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10484

An SSD for your boot drive is a cheap option these days as you only need a 128Gb It does make a big difference to booting, loading programs and such

I can remember selling 64Gb SSD's for £480 years ago

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I thought there was some question about SSD longevity and the way that it writes data...Perhaps that's an old story?

For day-to-day general computing, this PC is fine. So an SSD upgrade for me would only be worthwhile for better DAW (loading samples, audio tracks, and paging if that was necessary, etc)
    spark240 said:
    But too what advantage? A fast boot up time , surely you are talking seconds,? Maybe faster load up of plug ins? Im it saying it's not a good thing, I'm sure I would love it, but is it really worth it if your on a budget?
    OK - my old studio machine took around 30 seconds to run Reaper and load all the plugins. My new machine takes around 3 seconds. There's also no delay when writing lots of recorded audio to the drive (or loading it from the drive), as you'd expect from 300MB/s+ on your I/O.

I tend to keep my current two or three audio projects on my SSD/boot drive, and everything else sits on an external disk. It makes such a massive difference to my workflow that I just couldn't go back now; it's healthier too, because some operations where I'd normally go and make a coffee simply take a few seconds now.
    <space for hire>
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited May 2015
    We just recorded this with a Mac running Logic Pro X. 
    All the guitars went through a POD HD or through the built in amp models in Logic. 
    Worked great. Bit of a learning curve in terms of deep editing, but we don't go anywhere near that for the earlier demo stage. You're more than welcome to have a visit and have a look.