Single pickup guitars

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1650
All of a sudden I have a want for a single pickup les Paul but with a humbucker not a P90.

Do people feel that they miss the neck option or do you learn to get there with the tone and volume controls?

The one on the Feline guitar site is a thing of beauty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I hardly ever use the neck pickups. If I want to soften the attack I pick near the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    There is a great looking Junior with a bucker for sale in the classifieds.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I could live without a neck pickup but there isn't much choice unless you go out of your way looking for a single pickup guitar.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Personally I'm not a fan of single pickup guitars, purely from an aesthetic point of view - they look unbalanced.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love the simplicity of single p'up guitars. They obviously aren't for everyone though.

Since getting mine I've really learned to use the controls & more importantly my own playing technique to get the sounds I want. I always think it's more like playing an acoustic in that respect- how hard (& where) you hit it makes a huge difference.

Have you seen the Samick Linda model? Single HB, LP Jr alike. Cheap too.

Here are mine... I'm building an Esquire too!
    http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/ECC34C0C-D821-4089-8957-238BB4CA5EB1_zps8s6hahzi.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love the look

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    I single pick up'd my main gigging guitar for few months (just took the neck out.) i liked the idea of the simplicity, the challenge of focussing on what and how you play, rather than getting hung up on the switch position.  I had a humbucker-sized p90 in the bridge.

What i learnt was:  
    - i need a humbucking option on my gigging guitar because some of the places we played just had horrible, inescaple hum.  And i'm not using much gain at all.
    - while i can work with the bridge pup for the vast majority of our set, the neck sounds better for clean single lines which need clarity but more muscle in the low mids.  Couldn't really get there with just the tone control, though could get close enough that i would have been happy, except for....
    - i can really use the middle position, and the way that scoops out some of that build up of mids you get in the neck or bridge alone, and the different sound to the attack you get in there.

So in summary, i could live with a single humbucker guitar, provided it had a nice middle position, which is of course, impossible.  And therefore i am currently struggling to see past my £40 bitsa jazzmaster as my favourite gigging guitar.

All of which, I'm pretty sure icbm has said at points in the past.  I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that i should just do whatever he says and save myself the bother of learning it from scratch ;)

None of which is any use to you in your search, sorry!  Enjoy the journey!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9851
    I like the idea of a single pickup guitar, and have toyed with getting an Esquire. The reality though is that I would miss the versatility.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I think if you really want a single pickup guitar you could always do it how the pros do - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8f/73/84/8f73841d140cadc26a1043d7c2033c1e.jpg
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    I must admit I feel a sense of freedom with a one pickup guitar.

No switching just volume/tone and your fingers....
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4224
    Love the look

That is lovely!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    koneguitarist;643829" said:
    John_BlackWolf said:

Love the look

That is lovely!
    Agreed, absolutely gorgeous.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    markblack said:
    I'm enjoying the partscaster I modded recently with an oil city P90 at the neck... I wanted something striped back that I had to use the knobs a bit more (ohhhh errrr missus). image
    This one is more up my street.  I basically live on the neck pickup on most of my guitars so a Tele with a single P90 at the neck would be an awesome addition to the family.