Russian Big Muff - modern clones/copies?

What's Hot
bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
So it's becoming ever more difficult to source a functioning russian big muff (the tank box'd one). I was hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of a nice clone? 

When I say clone - I mean it will sound equally as delicious, not 'nearly-as'.

UK made clones ideally..?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27292
    I'll do my usual and recommend the pedalparts kit and an hour or 2's solder :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Easy enough to make one (though not as cheap as a mass produced one...). Could do Green Russian or Civil War. Or indeed any of these
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    i'd love to say i could build one but i have 0 knowledge when it comes to electronics!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661

I thought the EHX Bass BM was a direct copy of the Russian plus a bass boost switch?

I have two EHX Russian Muffs & there is a noticeable  difference in sound between them. I don't think EHX were that strict with parts.

This site is a wealth of Big Muff info http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

edited October 2013
    bigfuzz said:
    i'd love to say i could build one but i have 0 knowledge when it comes to electronics!

You really dont need to if you buy a kit, its like painting by numbers. You will save £££ in the long run.

• if you dont wanna put a kit together then check out made by mike pedals. i have his green big muff clone and its nailed on. HIGHLY recommend
    How very rock and roll
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    JD50 said:
    bigfuzz said:

You really dont need to if you buy a kit, its like painting by numbers. You will save £££ in the long run.

I disagree with this. I'm alright with soldering and wiring guitars, but I built a TS clone, plugged it in to test it, and the fucker didn't work. I had no idea where to start with troubleshooting, and I felt pretty deflated after spending hours populating the PCB, so it went in the bin.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but it's not always the walk in the park it's sometimes made out to be!

I've had plenty go wrong myself & you're right its not always simple, but with some patience practice & a multimeter its not hard either.
    Obviously there are several things to check prior to populating the circuit board, test the components & make sure they are orientated where applicable the correct way & test the circuit as you go along. There are quite a few websites dedicated to DIY pedals these days & lots of helpful info & people who are happy to share knowledge.