Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    What recipe did you follow?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And what ingredients...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wood + Rockwool + cheapo cloth from IKEA + one wife to help cut it all up!!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    What frequency are they tuned to?

R.
    Drew_fx;646211" said:
    Lol yeah I know how to make them just curious what insulation/thickness you used? The edges look neat so I'm assuming you did the style where the insulation sits within the frame rather than in front of.
    Drew_fx;646211" said:
    Lol yeah I know how to make them just curious what insulation/thickness you used? The edges look neat so I'm assuming you did the style where the insulation sits within the frame rather than in front of.
    Yeah, the insulation sits in the frame. I went for 100mm thickness Rockwool. Cut a bit of cloth so it goes across the front and wraps around the wood. Staple the cloth to the inside of the wood, then put another bit of cloth across the back, to keep the rockwool from falling out.
    What frequency are they tuned to?

R.
    They're broadband absorbers, so they're not tuned. But this particular type of Rockwool (ProRox SL930) absorbs between 125Hz to 4kHz.
    edited May 2015
    I used the 100mm 960 but frameless style (insulation in front of frame). Actually there is 2 inch of frame because I salvaged from some GIK 242s. But yeah I went sturdier to stop it drooping. Also put the 2 inch from the 242 in front, very floppy ecose stuff.

How floppy is the 930? I could find no real info.

Mine are covered in potato sack brown because that was cheapest at the fabric shop. Didn't realise IKEA was an option, could've probably saved enough cash to buy some meatballs too.
    Not floppy at all dude. It's stiff, but you can cut it up easily if you need to.
    Oh well. I found so many conflicting reports at the time. Next time I'll get that stuff.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    What is the difference with the panels in place versus without? In other words are they worth the effort....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    What is the difference with the panels in place versus without? In other words are they worth the effort....
    Sooooooooo worth the effort!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    Rocker said:

True. That wall did look a bit bare. Adds a nice bit of colour.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Rocker said:

True. That wall did look a bit bare, maybe a couple of posters too.
    I'm gonna get a nekkid lady poster. Coz I hate women.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you're serious about recording and or mixing treatment is probably one of the best things you can invest in. Not sexy, but it can make a big difference. Basically you can't mix what you can't hear, and recording with typical small room reflections can sound less than ideal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you're serious about recording and or mixing treatment is probably one of the best things you can invest in. Not sexy, but it can make a big difference. Basically you can't mix what you can't hear, and recording with typical small room reflections can sound less than ideal.
    Agreed.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533

It's the bass, it will go into the corners and then come back onto it's self. Any in phase waves will increase in amplitude, and out of phase waves will null each other to a certain degree. So in short you can't judge the level of bass when your mixing in a room until the bass response is tamed to be more or less even .... that's what broadband absorbers or bass traps do ... trap the bass and stop it coming back into the room from the corners ..... the thicker the rockwool the better but also they benefit from having air behind them

Ours are DIY too, made much like Drews but we even mitered our corner traps  so they sit flush on the wall

We made about 20 traps before we got it under proper control, the measurements before and after what quite impressive and were done by firing tones from 20hz to 500hz out from the monitors and then picked by by a measurement microphone and recorded back into the DAW so we could compare the returned bass tones to the originals. Using this method you could clearly see where the peaks and troughs were. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited May 2015
    Quick nasty video!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Thanks for the video @Drew_fx. I'm probably going to do something with panels in my 'man cave' cos I know they're useful, but know nothing about where they should be placed or that making them yourself was this straightforward.
  • excellent work @Drew_fx ; I am starting to get pretty addicted to all this setting things up correct(or at least better) business..

is your distance from speakers to sitting position about right? monitor speakers stands always look similar to yours, I have a decent pair of sand filled normal speaker stands doing nothing, will they not do the job?

I was wondering if printed canvas pictures would work, fill the back with rockwool and put a wooden back on, maybe the fake canvas material would be too sound reflective?