Gretsch Jets

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
Tell me about them!

I've got an urge for a silver sparkle.

Things I already know - made in Japan and they look good!

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slateslate Frets: 89
    edited May 2015
    I have a pro line duo jet and it's amongst my favorite guitars of all time.
    Get the filtetrons and the tone switch - tele tones to les paul tones and of course the great Gretsch tone - fat, sparkly and growling.
    Superb build quality, lightweight and great feel when they're setup right.
    Also pin the bridge (I screw all my Gretsch bridge bases directly to the body) and you're good to go.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited May 2015
    Cheers for the info @slate sounds really versatile. Found this through a
    Google sold on this forum a couple of years ago - beautiful!

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/1249/sold-gretsch-silver-sparkle-jet-g6129t

• Our very own @lustycourtier is selling a lovely Grestch G6128 at the moment...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328

Jets are amazing guitars. Ive had quite a few, and as long as you get a 2004/5 onwards, it will be a great guitar. I dont know if Gretsch still do Sparkle finishes but the 90s ones just arent right spec wise. All style pick ups are great. Dynasonics are very old school rock n roll and in your face, and Filtertrons are possibly my fave pickups ever.

Also, my experience is the necks are all quite small. Its why my current one is for sale.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

What was the name of the range of the ones that were about £500?

A few years ago I really wanted one of those but the money never panned out.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    Electromatics. The jets werent hollow though in that range.
    lustycourtier;646619" said:
    Jets are amazing guitars. Also, my experience is the necks are all quite small. Its why my current one is for sale.
    That's good and bad news!

What would you compare the necks to?

And please tell me about your own that is for sale.
    Been thinking that not many players I listen to use these. In fact the only one I remember is Rupert Orton (Beth's brother) when he was in Jim Jones Revue.

Who else plays Jets?
    edited May 2015
    George Harrison, Joe Perry, Elliot Easton , Malcolm Young, that bloke from pink floyd...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    @lustycourtier - is your G6128 a '59 style with Filtertrons and a Bigsby?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4261
    Had a 90's USA one. Sounded quite good and had a cool vibe. On the downside, it had it's own gravitational field (nearly 11lbs), and a slight fretboard hump where neck joined body. I am sure the MIJ ones are a hell of a lot better, I think mine was from a very sketchy period of production.
  • Major GAS for this Jap beaut I spotted on the bay a while back...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited May 2015
    I had a white penguin for a number of years. Looked great, was a bit clunky to play and was never a 'great' guitar. I'd rate it as 'good'.
    *edit - this is it at a daytime gig some years ago:

The necks are quite slim - all Japanese Gretsches seem to have similar necks - and the frets are on the small side, I don't like the poly finished ones, they just feel plasticky to me. Bridges need to be pinned and often the Bigsby too, as ICBM will attest. Also with the sparkle binding, the side dots disappear on darkened stages and under certain light, which was a pain.

I also had a 6120DL which was a bit of a pig to play, I never bonded with it but it recorded exceptionally well. I loved the recorded tones yet disliked them 'in the room'. That one I maybe should have kept...the Penguin I don't miss. I would like to find a *really* good example of a jet though cos they do have something different going on...and Malcolm is a hero of mine musically speaking.
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    This thread has me gassing for anotehr Jet, I used to own a pro-line Duo Jet with the Dynasonic pickups and absolutely loved it. 

Ended up selling it because I was gassing for a Les Paul an now I'm kind of wishing I still had it. It was a little bit muddy sounding (even with a TVJones T-Armond in the bridge) and the low E used to buzz seemingly no matter how I'd set it up... but now I'm pretty sure swapping out the Melita bridge for a Tru-Arc or some other kind of metal bridge would have solved most of the issues that the Melita's nylon saddles caused. 

The master volume plus the volumes for each pickup was really nice, found myself using the controls for a lot more tone shaping. If you could adapt the Gibson 50's wiring for that setup it would be near perfect (for me anyway...)

Someone hurry up and buy my R8 so I can get another Duo Jet! 
    :D
    Interesting comments about the thin necks and poly finish...the sparkles are poly but from what I've read a thinner type than some.

I'm wasn't sure about the duo Jets before this thread but their look is growing on me.

That Penguin is nice Moe by the way!

They are quite pricey as well. Not sure I would risk buying a used one blind; but then again well over £2k for new is silly money really...

edited May 2015
    All Japanese made professional collection gretsch guitars are poly finished unless they're limited runs or artist models that are specified as nitro (which are usually much more expensive).
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited June 2015
    I had one for a few years.
    PROS: Amazing sound from stock Filtertrons - gritty yet jazzy etc. Killer looks. Light. Semi-hollow tones. Not a bloody Fender or Gibson.
    CONS: Muddy as heck when backing off volume controls (despite endless experiments with bleed caps). Needed wooden shims to adjust pickup height. Skinny neck that was never quite right for action, relief etc. Hated the floating bridge - probably OK for Jazzmongers with their 15 flatwound sets but always worried about knocking it about (despite being quite a gentle player). Didn't have a Bigsby.