Advice needed: guitar repair/maintenance tools and books

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
Morning all,

Having bothered you good lot so often, I really, really need to start having a go and learning a bit more about guitar maintenance and repair (I'm sure I've said this before but...this time...).  I've just been playing around with a new guitar and through some minor truss rod and bridge adjustments, I've managed to get the action to a much more pleasing level.  But it hasn't been done as 'properly' as it probably should have, with correct measuring tools, etc.

To get set up in basic tech, whether it's re-soldering a loose wire, adjusting action, etc. what basic tools do you consider essentials?  Is there such a thing as a good basic kit for some of these jobs, for example:

Also, and probably more importantly, is there a book you would recommend for repair techniques?

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    edited May 2015
    Dan Erlewine guitar repair book is quite possibly all you need.
    There is a section covering tools.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    edited May 2015
    ^ Seconded. The Erlewine book is very good - it has loads of really great tips - including a genius piece of advice which transforms the ease with which you can set up a Strat with a floating trem. (His advice is to trap a piece of wood, a pencil - or whatever between the block and the rear of the cavity by slackening of the springs, complete the action/intonation adjustments and then tension the springs to release whatever you used to block the trem.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    thats the one

and you can get a half decent starter toolkit from Stew Mac in the US
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3704
    edited May 2015
    I've already got the "how to make your guitar play great" Erlewine book, is the Guitar Repair version a lot different, more  intensive?
    meltedbuzzbox;647528" said:
    imalrightjack said:

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Player-Repair-Dan-Erlewine/dp/0879309210

thats the one

and you can get a half decent starter toolkit from Stew Mac in the US
    Do you have a link to these kits? Thanks!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Neil said:
    I've already got the "how to make your guitar play great" Erlewine book, is the Guitar Repair version a lot different, more  intensive?
    In a word, YES.

If you just want to set up your guitar, the 'How to..' book is probably all you need and is easier to digest.

The 'Guitar Player Repair Guide' covers basically every aspect of repairs from the simple to the expert. Most people won't ever try to attempt half of what it covers but it is good to have the knowledge (if not the practical experience). However, the book was compiled from articles in Guitar Player over the years. It's not the most elegantly laid out book and subjects are a little fragmented.It really is 'the bible', though.
    I'll go with the full monty book then.

Any advice on gauges, etc.? Amazon recommendations are useful.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    edited May 2015 tFB Trader
    +1 to the two Dan Erlewine books 

Guitar player Repair Guide
    Make your electric guitar play great 
    His videos availble via Stewmac are good too.

Also Stewmac 

Fretwork 101
    Trade secrets vol 1&2 (I'm featured in Vol 2)

Also Melvyn Hiscox Build your Own Electric Guitar

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785

Both Dan Erlewine books are good - different approaches to telling you what you need to know. Get both!

His short StewMac videos on Youtube are also excellent.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I like the Dan Erlewine books too although I do find some of the diagrams could be better. On the whole they're worth the price.
    I'm borrowing a copy of the setup book.

Any thoughts on feeler gauges/tools?

My band, Red For Dissent
    Neil said:
    In a word, YES.

If you just want to set up your guitar, the 'How to..' book is probably all you need and is easier to digest.

The 'Guitar Player Repair Guide' covers basically every aspect of repairs from the simple to the expert. Most people won't ever try to attempt half of what it covers but it is good to have the knowledge (if not the practical experience). However, the book was compiled from articles in Guitar Player over the years. It's not the most elegantly laid out book and subjects are a little fragmented.It really is 'the bible', though.
    Cheers.

Probably order that, for the read if nothing else.
    :)
    I'm borrowing a copy of the setup book.

Any thoughts on feeler gauges/tools?
    Dan does give you a list of tools in the book but the appropriate truss rod tool for your guitar, a set of feeler gauges and a couple of screwdrivers will get you started.
    Forgive my huge ignorance but are there guitar specific feeler gauges or just general? If general, what size ranges might I need?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I've been looking for something similar and like the look of the "How to make your electric guitar sound great" as I don't think I'd need most of the stuff in the repair book - would rather use a pro. But, I can't seem to find one new, they're all used. Anyone know where I can get a brand new one?
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    It's ok - I've found it now - seems the one I saw must have been an older version. THis one is new http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989/ref=pd_rhf_eeolp_s_cp_1_SD7V?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZHN09FA5YDVEDCVFG37
    Forgive my huge ignorance but are there guitar specific feeler gauges or just general? If general, what size ranges might I need?
    No just the normal car sizes in thousandths of an inch. (Imperial)

They usually range from 25 to about 1.5 which covers everything you need.