First Guitar - School me on cheaper EVH Wolfgang Variants (possibly WTB, too...)

HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
My 11-year old daughter has very recently taken up playing and, recalling the off-putting plywood horrors I wrestled with as a callow youth, I've taken the approach of spending a good chunk of time letting her experience different body shapes and neck profiles, rather than focussing on aesthetics (and there's no shortage of guitars to tinker with at home).

However, I'd her to have something which is very much "hers", so we've been doing some window-shopping.

Yesterday, we went to PMT in Birmingham and a friend of mine who works there kindly took the time to run her through a range of stuff.

The body/neck profile combination which felt best to her was EVH Wolfgang, so I think that's where we'll be focussing our attention.

I'll be honest, I don't have much knowledge of the type/style - they look like bloody banjos to me, so I've always steered clear of them, whether MusicMan, EVH/Fender or Peavey, etc.

I'm aware that there are various cheaper iterations/copies/licenses (SUB1, OLP, etc, etc), but like I say, I've never paid attention to them.

Any thoughts/perceptions/opinions/recommendations?

NB. If anyone can advise re. a very similar neck profile on something else (non-EVH), please also feel free to make suggestions.

The budget would have to be an absolute maximum of £200, although there could be latitude if trades were involved.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool choice!

If I recall correctly, Vintage (the JHS/Trev Wilkinson brand) do, or did, a Wolfgang clone called a VH51.

I'm not sure you'll find a new one, but they seem to pop up on Gumtree/eBay/the Vintage Guitar players Facebook group occasionally & they seem to be well regarded. I can't image that one would cost more than £200, Vintage guitars seldom do- Unless its something really special like my own customised Lemon Drop LP!
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited May 2015
    The EVH Wolfgang Standard usually goes for £390 to £420 new so I think you could find one on the used market for something close to your budget. 

When I worked in a guitar shop the OLP (or whatever the Music Man entry level brand is called now) guitars were always good value so would be worth trying their Axis model.  Just bear in mind there will be differences in profiles etc so try before you buy. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    Cheers! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Olp mm is a great guitar and no mistake, wide flatish board, good weight /balance, I quite fancy another myself as I miss mine, shouldn't have sold it eh.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 918
    Peavey did an EVH special that was made in Korea I believe - they did USA specials in solid colours (which will be way over budget) and he korean ones all had flame tops I think. I had both USA and korean version, and the cheaper one was actually very nice. All have floyd rose trems.

Never played the licensed musicman stuff, but it always gets great reviews!
    Thanks for the info peeps! :)

However, fate (as often is the case) intervened...in the shape of a great condition S/H Matt Black Korean Peavey EXP V-Type.

I think the specs are: Cort factory, Korea, Alder body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, 24 jumbo frets, 24.75" scale length, Peavey/Ping licensed Floyd Rose...and all for £90.

The neck profile is spot-on for her and she loves it! :)

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    £90! Nice.  And the Cort factory make some great guitars. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

MattFGBI said:
    £90! Nice.  And the Cort factory make some great guitars. 
    Yup - I'm super-pleased with it! :)

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Congrats to her, she'll love that guitar, really do like what I've had from Cort, no reason this won't tick all the boxes too.
    :)