60s cranked Marshall pedal kit

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4686
edited October 2013 in FX
Any body know of any kits that come close to a cranked late 60s Marshall? Nothing high gain just something that sounds like it being played within a inch of its life. Think Hendrix Isle of Wight. So when you kick in a fuzz all he'll breaks loose. I have a mk 1 govn'r but that is too smooth and 80s JCM800 sounding
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45

if anyone knows of a pedal what does this, i'd also be very interested!
  • The mark 2 guvnor is very good. Crank it right up for more jcm style gain, but back it off and it's much more classic with a very VERY powerful eq. You'll need to spend some time with it.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Box of Rock?
    DLS?
  • The Joyo 'British Sound' is a versatile Marshall in a box (see Tech 21 Character Series). I've also got a DLS, which is great for low-gain sounds, particularly running at 18v where it takes fuzz/OD pedals really well... I don't use either of them just now as I'm basically using a Marshall-esque amp with a tubescreamer to goose so let me know if you're interested in either of them.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    Take a look at the BSM treble booster site..some great demos. Hendrix/Blackmore... variety of period sounds from 60s & 70s
    Might be what you are looking for check out the sound demos
    I like the sound sof the HS-C & the Marshall Major one
    Cheers
    Baz
  • @Axe_meister I agree the Guv'nor is rather JCM800-ish, that's one of the reasons I like it, but I'm surprised you say it is too "smooth". With enough treble & gain it can have some quite sharp edges. Whereas a cranked Plexi or SuperLead can IMO come across as "smooth" perhaps more so than a Guv'nor especially when front-ended with a Lester.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    Not aware of DIYs or kits.
    I've tried the Wampler Pinnacle (EVH Brown sound), both CM Plexitones, and the DLS.
    Through my rig the DLS was absolutely shit.
    Returned within 2 hours and swapped for the pinnacle which is nice, Marshally but gainy too.

The first channel of the 2-channel CM plexitone might be what you want.
    You may be able to get layouts or kits for klones and just do the first stage but that's just a guess.
    With SCs it sounds lovely and a bit loose but with a nice warm growl which imho is very Marshally. 

The pinnacle sounds nice too, in fact, EVH's brown sound came from a pushed late 60's plexi which was 100% stock according to all the cats who've worked on it through the years. I don't know or care if the pinnacle is brown, blue or pink sounding but I like what I hear, it's amp-like, tracks well at the upper registers on low strings (DLS was terrible). 

Other options are the weehbos but are expensive.

Not any kit options in my post, jut my experience with 4 MIAB pedals.

• Anybody tried the purple plexi clone at pedal parts?
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    I owned a DLS mkII and hated it. The DLS mkIII, on the other hand, is the best "Vintage Marshall in a box" sound I've ever heard from a pedal. I can also recommend the Menatone King of the Britians.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Box of Rock, my pedalparts clone is ace.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • what about the the joyo plexi drive pedal - which today only has 1/3 off...
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1972
    Rocket Flex Drive does it nicely
  • Ok purple plexi clone ordered from pedal parts. Along with a fuzz face and zen drive clone. Lots of building this Xmas.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    I think Ive got a madbean box of rock pcb floating round if anyones interested (it could be a box of metal though - I'll check)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Definitely try out a Mk2 Guv'nor, they're surprisingly good for the money (as are the Jackhammers, but that might be a bit too modern for what you're after).
  • IanSavage said:
    Definitely try out a Mk2 Guv'nor, they're surprisingly good for the money (as are the Jackhammers, but that might be a bit too modern for what you're after).
    This in spades, boutique beater, just takes a bit of effort to dial in.  The resonance and bass are very powerful.