Help identifying pickups from my '93 LP Standard

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289

Okay, so today I switched the pickups out of my '93 Les Paul Standard. My intention is ultimately sell the pickups on here but I have no idea what they are as Gibson have not bothered to put any identifying marks (apart from the Gibson USA logo) on them.

Having done a bit of digging I think it's likely they are 490s but I can't say for sure. They're single conductors (in line with factory fitted PUs) and the usual nickel finish and long leg mountings (also as you'd expect).

Anyone got any better ideas?

I'd like to be able to positively ID them before I sell them on really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Do you have a multimeter? If so measure the output and let us know the readings we should be able to work it out from that.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd think they'd be the 490s
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Adam_MD said:
    Do you have a multimeter? If so measure the output and let us know the readings we should be able to work it out from that.
    No, but I know a man who has. Will get him to have a look tomorrow. Good idea, thanks.

Okay, got my neighbour to put his multimeter across the PUs this morning:

Neck 7.7Kohms

Bridge 13.62Kohms

This give anyone any more clues?

edited May 2015
    Gibson 490r and 498t. I figured it would be these but at least you know for sure now.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've always been puzzled by this. 
    You buy a Gibson Les Paul, because, presumably, you like the LP sound, like you've heard on all the old records, and the first thing you (not you, OP - you've shown remarkable restraint, but lots of people do) is to whip out the Gibson pickups, and replace them with SD's, or BKP's, or whatever, to make it sound more like a Gibson Les Paul...?

Aren't the Gibson pickups a big part of the sound, and one of the main reasons to buy that guitar, in the first place..?

Not having a go - just genuinely confused.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Nothing to be confused about. You like the ply a guitar plays but now we have options to tweak the sound. I've had my standard since 03 and loved the sound but I fancy a change so I'm in the middle of installing some different pickups as I now want something different.
    usedtobe;648887" said:
    I've always been puzzled by this. You buy a Gibson Les Paul, because, presumably, you like the LP sound, like you've heard on all the old records, and the first thing you (not you, OP - you've shown remarkable restraint, but lots of people do) is to whip out the Gibson pickups, and replace them with SD's, or BKP's, or whatever, to make it sound more like a Gibson Les Paul...?

Aren't the Gibson pickups a big part of the sound, and one of the main reasons to buy that guitar, in the first place..?

Not having a go - just genuinely confused.
    The 490/498 are not a typical LP sound though, they're a touch harsh, not enough smoothness. I have them in one of my LPs but only so it contrasts my other, more classic sounding one.
    the 490r and 498t aren't exactly Gibsons finest pickups though. Especially if you're trying to get sounds from the 50's and 60's. A 498t is very hot compared to 'paf' style pickups also is wound with 43 gauge wire rather than 42. I like the 490r though find it doesn't balance very well with the 498t.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Fairy snuff..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Gibson pickups in Les Pauls range from 490/498 through 496/500 through Classic 57s through Burstbuckers through Custombuckers (and variants too) so there isn't a single 'sound' even from the stock pickups.

Well for me I've always had mixed feelings about how close the sound of my LP with the stock pickups was to the sound in my head. Probably explains why I've had the guitar 20+ years and it's always been my 2nd choice to go on gigs, always ending up behind a Strat, Tele, Vee and H-535 at various points. So new PUs might get it up the pecking order.

Anyways, 490r and 498t then. They'll be appearing in the classifieds shortly if anyone's interested but I think we've done a fairly good job of playing down their value on this thread :)

Oh, thanks for the help on identifying them for me BTW.

Cheers!

edited May 2015
    Rowby1;648928" said:
    Well for me I've always had mixed feelings about how close the sound of my LP with the stock pickups was to the sound in my head. Probably explains why I've had the guitar 20+ years and it's always been my 2nd choice to go on gigs, always ending up behind a Strat, Tele, Vee and H-535 at various points. So new PUs might get it up the pecking order.Anyways, 490r and 498t then. They'll be appearing in the classifieds shortly if anyone's interested but I think we've done a fairly good job of playing down their value on this thread :)
    I don't think they're great LP pickups but if you want something a little hotter they're very good in my opinion, they just don't give you that les Paul sound, but in an SG, explorer or even an LP that you want to be hotter than usual they're great

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got 3 guitars with 490/498 pickups - Gibson LP Custom, Lucille and a Chibson. I like them with a fairly thick overdrive - the 490 has a good jazz sound.
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Should be 490/498 pairing as they went to them after the Bill Lawrence pickups were phased out on the Standards

Yes, think it's confirmed as 490/498. I've put them up in the classifieds as such.

Thanks everyone.