NGD: Weller/Gallagher inspired Rickenbacker 330

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1042
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Not quite a NGD, had this a few weeks but just getting round to showing it off. I've had a few Ric 330's, a Mapleglo and a Fireglo but I've always wanted a white one. I'm not even the biggest fan of white guitars, but the White Rickenbacker 330 has always been a dream guitar of mine. 

I'm a big Paul Weller fan, who had one of these and gave it to Noel Gallagher who I am also a fan of, so it's a given I was partly inspired ny them. I've seen a couple come and go over the years, but none that gave me the urge to buy, mostly due to the way they had severely yellowed due to UV exposure. Then this came up, complete with the correct Weller influenced stickers etc. I made the guy an offer and a trade for my recent Fireglo 330 and he accepted. I'm delighted with the guitar. 

The serial dates it to 97, so it's 18 years old and thankfully still has its white colour. I'll be keeping it in its case when it's not in use to slow the yellowing process, but the guitar will be seeing alot of action in my bands. Great guitar, the best playing 330 I've had so far. Here's some pics. The top one is how I got it, with the black hardware, but I have since changed it to chrome hardware that I had spare. Right now I prefer the look this way, it's also how Weller's is, but I'm not completely decided on it. 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Sweet. I think Noel immediately played Town called malice on the gifted Weller one after Weller left. He tried to play it cool too but was really made up in reality. Yours is a beaut. Proper replica too. Nice man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Awesome - looks pretty much perfect with the stickers
    Stop crying, start buying
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited May 2015
    nice!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Yep, Weller used his white one for Malice/Precious with The Jam on TOTPs if I recall correctly...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited May 2015
    Wow issued for a great looking guitar. I scratched my Ric itch with a '96 fireglo 360 but the 330 is the one really for Weller inspired stuff.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited May 2015
    Snap - thought about selling mine but its a keeper. I purchased it new in 1989 photo DSCF0016.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Noel played it when they did D'You Know What I Mean? on TOTP back in 1997. Happy days!

And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    That's lovely OP.

I usually prize originality but have never liked the black fittings on those, your chrome upgrade is far better looking.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I just pulled the trigger on a Burgandy Harrington....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Personally I prefer it with the all black hardware, but don't take my opinion into account it's just I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to all things Rick. ;)

We are all Chameleons...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    Neil said:
    I usually prize originality but have never liked the black fittings on those, your chrome upgrade is far better looking.
    Agreed. I have it on good authority from someone who has worked for RIC that the black tailpieces are more prone to failure than the chrome ones too - I'm not totally sure why, but I assume it will be something to do with the coating process. Probably less of an issue on a 6-string, but on a 12-string I would be wary about black hardware.

TonyR said:
    A "Tuxedo"
    Not really, a Tuxedo has a white lacquered fingerboard as well… which personally I think looks a bit odd!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited May 2015
    ICBM said:
    TonyR said:
    A "Tuxedo"
    Not really, a Tuxedo has a white lacquered fingerboard as well… which personally I think looks a bit odd!
    I stand corrected that's twice today :\"> perhaps I should just keep quiet! ;)

I can't say I've ever seen one with the white fingerboard and I perhaps don't want to either!

We are all Chameleons...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    ^ I just went and looked them up.
    Nazzzztyyy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    Wulfhere said:
    Noel played it when they did D'You Know What I Mean? on TOTP back in 1997.
    Interestingly that's the only Oasis song I can stand, and I didn't know he used a Rick on it. Wonder if the two things are related...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787
    Kylef said:
    Not quite a NGD, had this a few weeks but just getting round to showing it off. I've had a few Ric 330's, a Mapleglo and a Fireglo but I've always wanted a white one. I'm not even the biggest fan of white guitars, but the White Rickenbacker 330 has always been a dream guitar of mine. 

I'm a big Paul Weller fan, who had one of these and gave it to Noel Gallagher who I am also a fan of, so it's a given I was partly inspired ny them. I've seen a couple come and go over the years, but none that gave me the urge to buy, mostly due to the way they had severely yellowed due to UV exposure. Then this came up, complete with the correct Weller influenced stickers etc. I made the guy an offer and a trade for my recent Fireglo 330 and he accepted. I'm delighted with the guitar. 

The serial dates it to 97, so it's 18 years old and thankfully still has its white colour. I'll be keeping it in its case when it's not in use to slow the yellowing process, but the guitar will be seeing alot of action in my bands. Great guitar, the best playing 330 I've had so far. Here's some pics. The top one is how I got it, with the black hardware, but I have since changed it to chrome hardware that I had spare. Right now I prefer the look this way, it's also how Weller's is, but I'm not completely decided on it. 

where did you get the "P" sticker from ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Thanks for the replies. Before I had it I always loved the black hardware on these, before I studied Weller's and found the chrome hardware gives it something else.

The original is going to be part of The Jam exhibition this summer. Looks like they are getting all Weller and Foxtons instruments that they can for it. They must have got Noel and Steve Cradock to donate theirs for a few months. I know Noel rarely uses his, but Cradock still uses his often.

You can see from this pic how much Noel's/Paul's has aged to yellow.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/Rickenbackers/249E2200-BE42-4E2F-8B9F-3208C0BCC1C8_zps4mmr7dd6.jpg
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Kylef;654194" said:
    Thanks for the replies. Before I had it I always loved the black hardware on these, before I studied Weller's and found the chrome hardware gives it something else.

The original is going to be part of The Jam exhibition this summer. Looks like they are getting all Weller and Foxtons instruments that they can for it. They must have got Noel and Steve Cradock to donate theirs for a few months. I know Noel rarely uses his, but Cradock still uses his often.

You can see from this pic how much Noel's/Paul's has aged to yellow.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/Rickenbackers/249E2200-BE42-4E2F-8B9F-3208C0BCC1C8_zps4mmr7dd6.jpg
    Any details in the Jam exhibition? Is it related to Buckler's new book?

Previously known as stevebrum