PRS Pickup sound test as requested

xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Following on from the numerous  posts regarding  PRS Pickups new vs old, I have done a sound test for with the PRS Studio.

@thomasross20 will be doing a the same test with the older gen PRS Pickups so here is mine.
So we have Bridge 57/08 and 2 narrowfields 

The PRS is going direct through a Carlton 60w combo
Its being recorded through a Tascam DR-2D
I dont use a Plectrum so that may effect the sound.

Im away from tomorrow so its a slight rush job, The G string is out tune very slightly , and the riffs not that great but hopefully it will give you an idea . :)
Prob best to use headphones !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    Pretty sure @thomasross20 has one PRS with 57/08's and one with 59/09's? No narrowfields though. 
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Ooh groovy will be good to hear how the narrowfields compare then .
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Nice! Will listen later and hopefully get my clips up at the weekend 8)
    Middle and neck clean sounds cool! 
    Nice harmonic at 0:30 with the distorted tone - very nice.. 
    @PVO_Dave is 100% correct about my pups. 

Ah, I thought you had the new 85/15s (?) and possibly the even newer set in the 30th Anniversary editions (I don't know the name for the new set?)

Going to see if I can do my demo now...
    edited May 2015
    OK stuff it, I did it tonight... 

Amp = Blackstar. 
    Clean channel only has a little reverb. 

Recorder = Zoom H2n placed in front of amp. 

I'm comparing 3 guitars.... 
    PRS Custom 24 (2014 Wood Library model - the purple one - 59/09 dual humbucker)
    PRS Custom 24 (2013 Experience model - the orange one - 57/08 dual humbucker)
    Suhr Pro S4 (SSH+ humbucker in bridge and then two single coils which I think are Fletcher Landau's or SSV...??)

For each of these 3 tests I play from positions 5 (bridge) to 1 (neck) clean and then all over again but distorted: 

One other soundclip plays the Pro S4 against the 57/08s on bridge humbucker:

Lastly I play the same riff on bridge humbucker for all 3 guitars: 

The 59/09s are 10% overwound compared to the 57/08s and you can hear they are much raspier. I prefer the 57/08s. 

The Pro S4 pups have more tonal variation on the whole. 

I'm considering selling the one with 59/09s but only if I can get a decent price for it - I've got too many guitars and the one with 57/08s is my fave by far. Listening back the Suhr humbucker really cuts through and sounds alive. More than the 57/08? I can never make my mind up. 

@richardhomer and @hububulous and @jalapeno might be interested in this, too. 
    Ah then I have failed! Shows my knowledge on prs don't it! I thought narrowfield were new ha! Well if anyone has an older prs with dragons etc in them it would be good if they could upload some samples?

I'll have a listen to yours in a bit, at the very least it should put to rest the sterile myth.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    These are older ones; stock McCarty bridge pick-up in a McCarty.

It was recorded on an iPhone - and goes badly wrong in places. Anyway, enough excuses:

https://m.soundcloud.com/richard-homer/minor-blues
    edited May 2015
    The Pro S4 quack can be heard pretty clearly IMO. 
    I think the SSH+ is like the 57/08 bridge pup. 59/09 is much higher output. 
    edited May 2015
    Nice on, Richy baby, yeah!! ;) :D (Let's get that bad boy through a proper recorder! :) )

I really love the 59/09s that guitar sounds wonderful, easily the best of the bunch, The Suhr Great single tones,  really glad you did the comparison, i am not hearing anything but top class tones on every one, no blandness or sterility!  Richard Homers again sounds brilliant, especially when played in the context of that song, which was very cool.
    edited May 2015
    The 57/08s sound amazing - no way they are sterile!!
    I literally can't choose which I prefer the most. The Suhr pups do sound amazing... 
    edited May 2015
    I'm really (!!) surprised you like the 59/09s the most! I often think they sound raspy. Maybe I need to close my eyes and listen with my ears as such. 

Here's are more live clips with the 59/09s (not as good as a dedicated demo):

(skip to 0:54)

edited May 2015
    The narrowfields sounds pretty good. You can definitely hear some quack. I still think my Suhr is top for quack. Fender is even better (yes!) BUT the Suhr distortion p!sses all over Fender so it's a better guitar all-round. 

--> Interested to know why you prefer the 59/09s?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24877
    thomasross20;649639" said:
    Nice on, Richy baby, yeah!! ;) :D (Let's get that bad boy through a proper recorder! :) )
    It might be worth hearing it through a proper amp too - that was played through a Blackstar HT1R - so the forum's least favourite guitar brand, into the forum's least favourite amp!
    :) 
    I also went through a solid-state Blackstar but I think it sounds great (especially at volume... I know that doesn't make 100% sense...!)
    Mines a hand made solid state mesa inspired combo. Re the 59s I don't know they seemed a bit darker, just a tone that really appeals to me, the bridge sounded lush!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    edited May 2015
    The Pro S4 quack can be heard pretty clearly IMO. 
    I think the SSH+ is like the 57/08 bridge pup. 59/09 is much higher output. 
    I'd actually say that the SSH+ is more like the 59/09. Its a higher output, more modern pickup as opposed to the older PAF style of the 57/08.

Great playing by everyone on the thread by the way :-)
    edited May 2015
    Listening to my last clip I think you're right... SSH+ sounds most like 59/09. 
    Maybe the purple one with 59/09s aint so bad...

A mesa! Damn right lol