Delay or Reverb

What's Hot
EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
I am sure this must have been asked / commented on in the past?

I notice when the pro guitarists are giving clinics / master class / demo etc they have either delay or reverb on the guitar.

What is the consensus about which effect to run in ordr to fatten the basic guitar sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    Delay into Reverb usually....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited May 2015
    Yup def a bit of both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
    I use a really close slap-back delay.. on everything but funky, poppy stuff. Reverb on top if the room is particularly dead-sounding.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    A dash of reverb fattens things up enough for me. I don't like a lot of delay, I find it muddies up the tone especially for demos and detracts from the true sound of the guitar.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4642
    Sometimes delay can 'muddy' up rhythm parts, but for leads it can be a really useful effect, you'll have to experiment with how much delay to use, but it would be worth it i'd say as it does add such a 'huge' sound if used well.
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    looks like i will be making a purchase or two, thanks for the input everyone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited May 2015

I use the following :

a) slight delay followed by reverb to fatten things up.

b) tad of reverb when I know I can play the piece without cocking it up.

c) stacks of delay and reverb when I have a fan on the stage blowing into my wig (usually when playing Vai or Sat numbers)

d) massive amounts of delay and reverb when I don't have a clue what I'm doing but hope no one can hear the mess under the fx.

e) timed delay when I harmonise with notes previously played (usually around 500ms to 1 sec).

f) no reverb or delay. Dear Boy, NEVER !  You have to be a skilled artisan to pull that one off...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom