Coil split vs the PRS method?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11536
    Evilmags said:
    Having owned tonnes of guitars the only conclusion I can come to is that if you want single coil tones, get single coils. Clearly in a gigging/versatility situation tapped buckers of HSH is the best compromise. But it is still a compromise. 

It´s sort of like thinking Jazz tone is the neck pickup of a 335 with the tone knob turned down. It´s kind of their, but not an archtop with a wood bridge and a clear pickup. 
    True, but the sounds you get this way are far better than what you get with a simple coil tap.  Before I sold the DGT in my avatar pic, I have to say that the coil tap sounds on that sounded far better than on any other guitar I've had with coil taps.  They didn't sound exactly like a Strat or Tele but I think a lot of that was the fact it's a set neck mahogany guitar with a 25" scale rather than a bolt on maple neck with a 25.5" scale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 438
    ICBM said:
    Have you shorted the tone pot - maybe with a bit of stray solder across the two pot terminals, or from the tone cap connection to ground?
    Thanks for your help, mate. I had another go this morning and it all worked fine. I must have done something silly last night, as I've done in the past! Late night wiring at the end of a busy day is probably not for me. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom