les paul pickup height adjustment

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
I have a burny les paul that I've always had a high action on.

I've just lowered it quite a bit which left the pickups way too high with the strings pressing against them
when I mute.

I can't lower the pup's much because they just drop off the end of the screws.

2 options I can think of, longer screws or shallower surround.

The screws seem to be 2.7 mm which a bit of googling seems to be standard, is there a longer
version available?

Failing that I'm thinking of sanding the surrounds down to be less deep which has the same effect
as making the screws longer.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited May 2015
    Axesrus should have longer screws

Edit - what length are your screws? These ones have a thread length of 25.9 mm

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Humbucker-Mounting-Screws-Dome-Head-p/wr2428ax.htm
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    They only show regular length, as do strings direct
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited May 2015

If you haven't done so already you should also check the relief at the 7th fret with the 1st and 17th fret pressed down. If there's too much relief that would make you lower the bridge more than you need to, which may cause buzzing on the high frets.

I like it around 0.25mm or 0.01"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited May 2015
    relic245 said:
    The screws seem to be 2.7 mm which a bit of googling seems to be standard, is there a longer
    version available?

Any thoughts?
    Only that 2.7mm is VERY short. :P

I would think that these are M2.5 or M3 metric screws in which case you might be able to find some on eBay. Don't restrict your search to guitars as they are usually no longer than those you have.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    I got new surrounds from Gibson recently and the two supplied screw lengths were different - neck and bridge - with one or the other being longer, but not by much.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Maynehead;651899" said:
    If you haven't done so already you should also check the relief at the 7th fret with the 1st and 17th fret pressed down. If there's too much relief that would make you lower the bridge more than you need to, which may cause buzzing on the high frets.I like it around 0.25mm or 0.01"
    What tool would one use to measure .25mm?
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Feeler gauges
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Thanks for the suggestions. @Maynehead thanks, hadn't thought of checking the relief but will do.

I've actually sanded about 3mm off the surround, it seemed very big and was much taller than the one on my 
    335. That seems to have solved the problem. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited May 2015
    relic245 said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. @Maynehead thanks, hadn't thought of checking the relief but will do.

I've actually sanded about 3mm off the surround, it seemed very big and was much taller than the one on my 
    335. That seems to have solved the problem. 

I hope you kept the curved profile when you sanded them and not just sanded them flat :)

Edit: also if you don't have feeler gauges the thickness of a standard business card is around 0.3mm so you can cut a strip and use that as a feeler gauge as a temporary measure.