Gibson Les Paul 60 burst in Toronto

What's Hot
capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Check out these threads on LPF interesting read about a dealer selling this guitar for $130000 if you like that sort of thing. 

Very pic heavy and some real knowledgable people on LPF.

Debate gets heated but they act like men and keep it real.
Apologies if already posted the guitar had a few minor issues...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    No links?
    Love the little dig about the debates.....
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Google the thread title please I didn't want to link to other forum and get in any bover with the mods
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    capo4th;652192" said:
    Google the thread title please I didn't want to link to other forum and get in any bover with the mods
    You wouldn't, it's not like that here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=les+paul+60+burst+toronto

Here you go google is wonderful

Scary business these guitar makers can pull off anything. A builder, an authenticator and a dealer ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just noticed I am on 666 frets!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I just want to know who bought it now :D
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    underdog said:
    I just want to know who bought it now :D
    Doesn't look like it was JoBo so far, but then I'm only on page 5 so far.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Didn't know Music Ground had a Toronto office.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    capo4th said:
    Apologies if already posted the guitar had a few minor issues…
    lol

It looks like a nice guitar actually. Just not one made in 1960.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM;652274" said:
    capo4th said:

Apologies if already posted the guitar had a few minor issues…

lol

It looks like a nice guitar actually. Just not one made in 1960.
    and thus not worth the $240,000 it's suggested someone paid for it
  • If Alex Lifeson has bought that I pity da fool who has ripped him off .
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Whether this guitar is genuine or not - the truth is you'd be mad to take the risk of buying one of these, given the potential to be conned.

The only vintage guitars I'd consider now are the ones which aren't 'that' valuable - so they are not worth faking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Whether this guitar is genuine or not - the truth is you'd be mad to take the risk of buying one of these, given the potential to be conned.
    Unless you're rich enough that it doesn't really matter, and the guitar is genuine beyond question - eg Kirk Hammett buying the Peter Green one. Even if some of the remaining original parts have apparently been removed since Gary Moore owned it… I don't think Hammett would care since that's not why he bought it.

This one has such obvious giveaways that anyone who has done the slightest amount of research should have been able to spot it though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• $240k doesn't buy you as much mojo as it used to.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    And as an aside, can we have GIF avatars please, I want the one CDaughtry has ;)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Does make me laugh when they go on about the binding scraping being wrong though.

Anyone who has scraped binding knows consistency is hard. Somebody doing it as their day job may be more consistent, but I bet they still had the odd pub lunch or day they should have called in sick.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Does make me laugh when they go on about the binding scraping being wrong though.

Anyone who has scraped binding knows consistency is hard. Somebody doing it as their day job may be more consistent, but I bet they still had the odd pub lunch or day they should have called in sick.

Or when they don't have the blindingly obvious wrong bridge alignment in giant capital letters at the top of any of the lists of faults...

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Interesting read that, thanks :)
    What was surprising was that even to me the guitar looked like a brand new guitar rather than a 55 year old guitar. Wood and nitro and paint changes over time and the electronics looked mint.

I am staggered someone was taken in and they must have really trusted the paperwork with the guitar. Makes me think twice about a lot of the high end used gear you see on fleabay.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2015
    I started to wonder about this stuff (even more than usual) during a LPF thread, maybe 2 years ago in which Richard Henry pointed out that a guitar which had been authenticated by Joe Ganzler was not real.

I reckon that if you bought a guitar new in 1960 you can be pretty sure that the widow's peak in the cavity is not faked. I have no intention of buying a 'Burst, ever, even if I win the lottery. A few years ago I made the astonishing discovery that a 52/53 Les Paul with a neck re-set (and PAFs or PAF clones) feels like a 57 to 60 Gibson Les Paul. I don't know why I was astonished..... because why would this not be the case??
    Anyway....that happened during a holiday in Chicago when a guy in a guitar shop handed me a "Burst" and then 5 minutes later pointed out to me that it was about one fifth of the price of a "Burst" because...... it was in fact......a Conversion. $60k was still too much for me but later the market crashed, and forum regulars will know that I bought one later after a long search.

I upset somebody on LPF by pointing out that a Conversion, with provenance from the guy that did the Conversion (preferably Dave Johnson or Scott Lentz) is a more reliable proposition than a 'Burst which does not have really good provenance. Because, the guy who did the Conversion knows that the donor guitar was a 52/53 Les Paul. He knows that because he removed the neck. And the paint!!! Forensic examinations don't get much deeper than that. I admit that my line of argument was partially wind-up because some people hate Conversions even though they are just another player grade vintage guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom