Tremol no...... Anyone?

What's Hot
Hey folks, Looking at installing a tremol no on my malmsteen strat... I've the trem set up ok at the minute but I like the idea of these... Anyone ever done it to a strat?! I've watched the YT vids and they're cool but looking for a real world opinion! Might be interested in buying one also if anybody has one knocking around....
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    I had one for a floyd equipped guitar. Very convenient to have if you like to drop to D or want more stability. I did for some reason have problems with tuning stability when installed on my Strat, I never worked out why. Give it a go and if it isn't you just return it
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    I use one on my PRS DGT, but I keep it in the locked position as I don't use the trem, works a treat for me in that respect. 
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited May 2015
    I still have the one on my prs studio @PVO_Dave installed when it was his, I really like how you can set the trem how you like, very easy and works well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73095
    I found it fiddly to use and rattled slightly in at least one of the settings. I would probably say it's best if you want to leave it in one setting rather than swap between them. It is at least fairly easy to fit and set up though, compared to some of the alternatives.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    PVO_Dave said:
    I use one on my PRS DGT, but I keep it in the locked position as I don't use the trem, works a treat for me in that respect. 
    I have one also on my DGT. It works a treat.
  • Sounding good guys, might take the plunge....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I don't care what Leo fender called it, it's a VIBRATO
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited June 2015
    Are you suggesting the OP should get a Vibrat-no?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's not even really that - it's a pitch bend. Vibrato is what you can do with it, not what it is. You can do things that aren't vibrato with it too, like divebombing.

[/pedant]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited May 2015
    ICBM said:
    It's not even really that - it's a pitch bend. Vibrato is what you can do with it, not what it is. You can do things that aren't vibrato with it too, like divebombing.

[/pedant]
    yep, point taken, but it's far more of a vibrato than it is a tremelo :)

FZ called it a whammy bar. I could live with that terminology ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    ICBM said:
    I found it fiddly to use
    +1

I also found you could sort of "feel" it, when set to fully floating, unless you had the setup bang on perfect (and even then).

Admittedly I'm rubbish at setups. :)) But considering how many people think floyds are fiddly already, fitting something that makes them even more fiddly...
  • Then add 5 pints of cider.......
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Dave_Mc said:
    ICBM said:
    I found it fiddly to use
    +1

I also found you could sort of "feel" it, when set to fully floating, unless you had the setup bang on perfect (and even then).

Admittedly I'm rubbish at setups. :)) But considering how many people think floyds are fiddly already, fitting something that makes them even more fiddly...
    yeah a slightly "gritty" feel which no amount of graphite would help
    I think unless you get the angle of the spring replacement piece absolutely bob on you always pick up a tiny bit of friction
    Of course it could be just the install.. You are talking to a man who spent 15 minutes trying to solder the earth wire to the bridge before I noticed the allen screw.... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I fitted a Tremel-no to my Suhr primarily for locking it off for tele-sounds.

I figured some day I'd want to use the setting to make it work like a flat mounted trem (the trem on the Suhr has a recess)

Last band practice the singer introduced a new song he'd written in different new tuning, so I was very glad I had the tremel-no fitted.

The major set backs of the system are the screw in thumbwheels that can fall out, also in the Suhr the tremel-no is a little prone so I've not rear cover - that said trying to use one with a routed rear plate looks like a faff.

If I could find one of those old locking Wilkinson trem in left hand I'd sell the the gotoh and tremel-no.

But till that day, the tremel-no is the best solution.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    frankus said:

If I could find one of those old locking Wilkinson trem in left hand I'd sell the the gotoh and tremel-no.

Just don't go there. One of the worst systems ever devised, it's impossible to set up so it operates smoothly without sticking or rattling, changing a string even for one of the same apparent gauge can affect the alignment and mean it needs adjusting, things constantly work loose unless you threadlock them so heavily they then become difficult to re-adjust, and the Allen screws on some of the adjustments are too small and can strip their heads if you try to do them up tightly enough to hold things where they're supposed to be.

An absolute nightmare… there's one in the shop just now unfortunately.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 196
    I fitted a pin version tremel-no on my Prs EGII about five years ago when they first appeared and after a bit of faffing around to make it fit, (I had to grind a small bit of metal away from the pin end coz it obscured the string hole in the trem block) it's worked perfectly ever since.
    You have to pay attention to setting it up squarely though otherwise it'll rub or creak when you use the trem.
    There's a couple of tips worth mentioning, get some surgical tubing and fit under the thumb screws coz they work lose and fall out. I always tighten them up at the end of the gig a loosen them off before tuning and playing the next gig
    Buy a couple of spare grub screws coz you will need them
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I had one on a strat I bought. Hated it. Took it off. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

I probably wouldn't like them, although they keep tuning stability of you break a string on a floating Floyd, I've tried normal Floyd block trem stops and they are awful - had one on a Charvel that arrived.

Particularly, I don't like the 'Knock knock knock' you get from playing bends and using the trem, I find it extremely aggravating and it comes through on the amp too.

Better springs, better set up for me.  No way I'd go near one of those things.  And absolutely no need for even tuning stability on a V trem.  Over engineered nonsense for a problem that doesn't exist.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    If you decide to get one let me know as I have some tiny rubber o rings that I put on the grub screws of mine which stops them from working loose and falling out that I can send you.
    Valar Morghulis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Didn't install it but really liked it.  Piece of piss to use and does what you want it to.