NOGD - Ship of Theseus?

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
in Guitar tFB Trader
A rebuild of one of the first guitars I made for myself, although it's a bit more like a completely new guitar eventually as the over time both body and neck have been changed.

This is a bit like the ancient Greek story of The Ship of Theseus where a ship is constantly rebuilt and at what point can it be considered no longer the same ship. Modern versions of the story are often called Grandfather's axe (or Trigger's broom for Only Fools and Horses fans)

A mahogany body, 3 piece maple neck and ebony board - inlaid with a spiky boot motif that I adopted many years ago.
The fretboard is scallopped from the 14th fret upwards - not unlike a few of the Panther model guitars I have made for myself over the years, influenced by George Lynch on his skull and bones
Loaded with a bare Knuckle Pickups Miracle Man in the bridge and a Sustainiac pickup system in the neck for endless controlled feedback.
An original Floyd Rose (had this one since 1988) equipped with a big steel block rounds out the major hardware.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Haha amazing - great thread title too!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    The previous incarnation had the current neck but the original body (which is a stupidly heavy piece of Brazillian Mahogany)

and the previous incarnation with original neck too (but second paintjob)

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    Enough with the poncey history stuff.

The phrase you're looking for is "Trigger's Broom" :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Here it is with it's cousin - the Dredd guitar

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    It's funny, I've seen pictures of your "I Am The Law" guitar for so many years, as you were doing the inlays and refinishing the body, but I never noticed it had that headstock shape.  I don't know why it's come as such a surprise, but it has!  Maybe the older pictures didn't actually show the headstock?

What prompted the refinish of the Ship of Theseus?  I can't imagine you sitting around bored with nothing else to do!  :D

tFB Trader
    Oh - it was a totally new body and is about 1.5kg lighter than the old one.
    The old one sounded good but damn it was heavy!

Actually I still have the old body and original neck (from 1988) sat around - I could rebuild the original , although that might defeat the mission.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Judge Dredd artwork is so cool - and you've got the hair to match!!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    FelineGuitars;653354" said:
    Oh - it was a totally new body and is about 1.5kg lighter than the old one.The old one sounded good but damn it was heavy!

Actually I still have the old body and original neck (from 1988) sat around - I could rebuild the original , although that might defeat the mission.
    As well as defeating the mission I can't help but feel it would cause some fairly hefty philosophical issues as you're telling us that this black guitar is actually 'that guitar' and yet here is a white one that is effectively also 'that guitar'. ...