Correct name for the Jeff Back Strat non-lsr nut

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

I'm trying to put together a neck for a Jeff Beck style strat, but I like the first generation neck more than the second one, and I like the split metal nut a little more than the lsr,

I was wondering if anyone know the correct name for them as I'm going to try to find someone to build a neck with this nut eg: Warmoth or someone and need to get the correct details.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Early one is a Willkinson - cut of the neck will be the same for split or normal versions.

Good luck getting hold of a split one though - last time I checked, a certain Mr. Beck had bought up all the ones in circulation as spares. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    I fitted a couple of those when I was young and much less lazy than I am today.  It was easier (in a way) than making a proper nut.  I think I did one with hand tools but it was better with a router, you need to remove the wood behind the nut slot and 1/16" in front of the slot.

It's a nice design but all the ones I had buzzed on the high E string, not all the time but every now and then.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Wow - never saw the split version....but looking it up i see it now

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    The unsplit one is pretty useless if you want to use the trem, i had mine replaced with the lsr plus the backing plate. The lsr is excellent for staying in tune but can be a bit buzzy on open plain strings due to absence of string T"s.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    I've also got the first version of the Wilkinson nut - it's about the same size as the LSR, with a single set of rollers and a separate roller string tree which covers the top three strings.

(The picture's not my guitar!  It looks a bit of an MD Phillips job.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom