3 pickup LPs

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
Is it really worth it for the extra sound, does it really sound distinctive enough to have a third pickup in the middle?

I've always though that it looks pretty ugly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep... I thought the same thing until I played a 3 pickup SG Custom (OK... not quite the same, I know) and it blew away every other CS SG in the shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I don't get three pickups LPs.  When I first started playing LPs are years of playing Strats and Teles I found the extra pickup height a nuisance.  I can only imagine having a third as making it more problematic.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1465
    The middle pickup is a pain in the ass, it just gets in the way. It LOOKS great, but that's about it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've always fancied a three pickup LP but only for its looks, I'd never actually use the middle pickup (probably).....
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The only LP I have kept is this one

I love the looks and it plays like a beast. I've not struggled with the middle pickup personally. 
    I know you can get some switching kits for them that enable all kinds of combinations.
    Is the middle pickup all that? Its kinda like an strat inbetween but on an LP. Works well with funk stuff. 
    But I usually play neck or bridge only. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Neither better or worse, just different. They sound great if you prefer the bridge/middle sound to the bridge/neck sound. Otherwise not, unless you want to modify the switching and controls.

Also bear in mind that you can't blend the pickups using the volume knobs like you can on a 2-pickup one, the bridge/middle sound is controlled only by the bridge controls.

I like them. I don't find the third pickup gets in the way - and I *do* find the middle pickup on a Strat does if it has raised polepieces - I think the arched top puts the strings higher relative to the body and keeps my hand more away from it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've always adored the look. When I was a kid my hero then Steve Clark of Def Leppard had a black and a white LP custom with three open coil HBs and Kahler trems. Talk about 80s excess. Not sure what switching he had though.

I agree that out of phase sound is a tad odd compared to what you'd expect.

The 50s LPC look is one I've always liled though. Typically the Jimmy Page model has altered wiring so you get a wider palette of sounds.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited May 2015
    @meltedbuzzbox
    congrats on being the owner of the only LPC to ever do anything for me. That middle pickup adds more than I expected! Really makes it an attractive guitar... 

That's fucking awful 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    have a wisdom mr @Hertz32
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited May 2015
    For complimenting your LPC or condemning the monstrosity Connor inflicted upon the thread?   :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    edited May 2015
    Hertz32 said:
    For complimenting your LPC or condemning the monstrosity Connor inflicted upon the thread?   :D
    Don't bottle it up mate, tell us what you really think :D

@meltedbuzzbox that Edwards is gorgeous although I prefer 'em with two pickups ;) How do you find it then? What's the weight like?
    Hertz32 said:
    complimenting my Les Paul ;-)

@Bucket I dont like humbuckers and I dont like Les Pauls generally but I do play mine a fair bit and I really like it.
    I love the power/sustain, the seymours in it are surprisingly great and the weight is no major issue at all. I would say its 9lbs or there abouts. They are well worth checking out. Its got a fairly thick neck too but it doesn't hinder you. 

edited May 2015
    Ooh good, I like a thick neck. Good to hear it's not too heavy as well, Customs can tend towards being boat anchors...

I am likely to grab one of the two-pickup ones when funds allow... it's an itch I definitely need to scratch.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    ICBM said:

Also bear in mind that you can't blend the pickups using the volume knobs like you can on a 2-pickup one, the bridge/middle sound is controlled only by the bridge controls.

You can if you fit the blend/  toggle switch as fitted to the Kirk SG :)

The ability to blend the middle pickup makes a major difference. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    You can if you fit the blend/  toggle switch as fitted to the Kirk SG :)

The ability to blend the middle pickup makes a major difference. 

I'd much rather do it with three volumes and a master tone. Complicated and potentially unreliable switches don't appeal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I nearly bought one in a pawn shop a few years ago.

T'was £80.

Shame it was fucked. Completely.

I doubt even a combined effort of all the luthiers in Britain could have got it back to a decent standard.

The neck was twisted, and the 'board was lifting, the body was cracked (more than paint) and the electrics were knackered. I haven't done justice to how bad it was.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    I love the look of them ever since I bought, "Frampton comes alive!" but I guess the middle pick up would just get in my way although I have never tried one.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have my R7 Black Beauty set up with three volumes and a master tone, with coil taps on the bridge & neck.  I can get some almost stratty sounds out of it when I want them.  I've never found the middle pickup to get in the way personally. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • manimani Frets: 10
    My first guitar a lefty LP alike (Ibanez PF230) had 3 humbuckers.  @ICBM is right about the curved tops giving enough clearance - certainly never bothered me one bit.  Sound wise with all pickups in series - just sensational, it's how I used overdrive clean amps as I didn't use pedals (had none).  That was in 94 though when I was 13 :D - still got the guitar just fixed the original 3 way switch with WD40 too!