Amp related question

What's Hot
Hi guys

Just want your advice I recently asked about practicing preferences for unplugged vs. plugged and found it almost unanimous for plugged. I have a couple of queries
firstly, what would be an ideal practice amp I currently have a bulgera V5?

Secondly, how do you manage volume levels I live in a semi detached with noise sensitive neighbors and family? Is there anything I can do ? Or should I just whack in headphones

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I use one of these:

Also means you can run around the house and play at the same time with nothing but a pair of headphones ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i also have an apogee go should i just get amplitube or guitar rig 5?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    Plenty of perfectly good practice amps about. You'll find plenty of love here for Roland Cubes, Fender Mustangs, Vox Valvetronics, Blackstar IDs, etc. As always, try out as many as you can and see what suits you.

As regards volume, most amps will sound OK at television type volumes so shouldn't upset the neighbours. My own experience of practice amps is that 40 or 50 watts can be quiet enough for home but are also powerful enough for small gigs. I'd personally avoid anything less than, say, 15w since they often have pretty small speakers that don't move much air, and youll find yourself wanting something better before you know it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    I don't see any reason the Bugera shouldn't work fine. You don't have to drive it hard, if anything you get better results practicing if you play cleaner (you develop better dynamics and control), and if the taper on the controls doesn't really work for getting a decent overdrive at very low volume, use a pedal - no amp is really going to sound any better at whisper volume.

I generally prefer bigger amps turned down to smaller ones, but I wouldn't necessarily buy one just yet unless you know that what you have isn't working for you even with pedals. At even lower volume, personally I hate headphones and just play unplugged.

If you're looking for a pedal, since the amp only has a single tone control, get something with multi-band EQ - it will be easier to dial in a better tone at low volume, especially if you can take out some of the mids, which you rarely can with a single tone control. Something like a Marshall Guv'nor sounds good and is not expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I don't know what guitar you use mostly but I find the V5 is better with a Strat or Tele.  I use a Blackstar ID: 15 TVP at home, it can do most things.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Watched a vid of the Fender Mustang on you tube recently.  It was done by intheblues.    £170 second hand.  Sounded really great at low volume.

I think Sam Vilo uses one at home too.

You tube access is restricted in work so can't get the link to it.