Saving money on guitars when purchasing online

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Lots of UK store attendants are on commission, so when you're asking for a discount/price match what you are effectively saying is "gimme some of YOUR money" he more than likely will say no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2015
    Sarge;667460" said:
    Lots of UK store attendants are on commission, so when you're asking for a discount/price match what you are effectively saying is "gimme some of YOUR money" he more than likely will say no.
    This is why I generally just pay the asking price and then mug the shop assistant after closing time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    @GuitarZero trying out a product in a shop and then buying it online is both unethical and plain stupid. If you try it out in a shop and like it, buy it from the shop. The local shop cannot stay in business if you do not support it. Otherwise take your chances and do all your business online.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar guitar won't budge on items either.

Wanted a les Paul classic that they had in the used section at £1199 and they wouldn't knock fuck all off it.

Fuck em' greedy bastards. And they wonder why we go to Thomann
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited June 2015
    Rocker said:
    @GuitarZero trying out a product in a shop and then buying it online is both unethical and plain stupid. If you try it out in a shop and like it, buy it from the shop. The local shop cannot stay in business if you do not support it. Otherwise take your chances and do all your business online.
    @Rocker They get an opportunity to price match.  The stores I use say they will, but often they try to dance around it and give reasons why they can't on the day.  Match the price and get a sale, don't and I walk away.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  

How many cars have you test driven then decided you don't want to buy it and go buy a car somewhere else?  If the product is right and the price is right, happy days, if not, it's their loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    ^ Agreed. Giving them an opportunity to match (or at least get close) is fair enough- especially if they claim up front that they well price match.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Guitar guitar won't budge on items either.

Wanted a les Paul classic that they had in the used section at £1199 and they wouldn't knock fuck all off it.

Fuck em' greedy bastards. And they wonder why we go to Thomann
    I have to say that's not my experience.  I've bought 4 guitars from them in Epsom since it opened and have asked for and received a discount each time.  Maybe it was because it was used?
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    This is repeating myself but it is important to separate VALUE from PRICE. The value is in walking into a shop and trying out a pedal, amp or guitar. It costs the shop to have that facility. A cost that IMHO is worth paying. Otherwise check out products at guitar shows, websites like here, online reviews or magazine reviews. And buy from the cheapest online seller. Either is a valid option. BTW do you buy your clothes online too? I only ask as the opinion of the tailor regarding the fit etc. also adjustments is worth the little extra it costs.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Agree rocker. Same for any I don't buy clothes online
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited June 2015
    Rocker said:
    (a) This is repeating myself but it is important to separate VALUE from PRICE. The value is in walking into a shop and trying out a pedal, amp or guitar. It costs the shop to have that facility. A cost that IMHO is worth paying. Otherwise check out products at guitar shows, websites like here, online reviews or magazine reviews. And buy from the cheapest online seller. Either is a valid option. (b) BTW do you buy your clothes online too? I only ask as the opinion of the tailor regarding the fit etc. also adjustments is worth the little extra it costs.
    (a) True, but it depends on the shop. If it's a massive shop with tons of choice where you can compare everything you're thinking of buying in private soundproof booths where you can crank the amps as much as you like, it's probably worth it, I agree (as long as the premium you're paying isn't ridiculous... not more than, say, 10-20%). If it's a small shop with very little stock, which doesn't have soundproof booths, then not so much.

(b) Sometimes I buy clothes online, sometimes I don't.

I don't normally go to a tailor, though. Can you get t-shirts from a tailor? :D
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited June 2015
    octatonic said:
    I saved £100 on my car insurance by raising my excess.
    I saved 100% on my car insurance by selling it and walking everywhere...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Went to a few indoor market stalls and haggled like a good un. Success!

Got cocky and tried it on in an Armani shop... they were quite gracious to be fair, didn't laugh or anything. :\">