Need help with what guitar to buy.

What's Hot
ewan71ewan71 Frets: 1
hi :) My first post on here and i am already looking for a bit of help. I have a nice Frashman FA300GAC, it is all solid wood and was my first proper guitar. I know it is nothing startling but really special to me. After now probably 18 months of playing pretty much everyday it has started to show a few battle scars so looking to buy a new guitar which i will then use as my main guitar and only use the FA300GAC for special occasions etc. So here is where i am at, i'm probably looking to spend around £450-500, at the VERY most £600 on my next guitar so it will most likely end up being a similar or better quality to the freshman, just wanted to know what everyone would recommend i buy in that price range. The cheapest I have been considering is the Yamaha FS740SFM Also the yamahaAPX700ii has been one i have been looking at plus the yamaha A1m/A1FM I also considered the new taylor gs mini koa because i love koa so much, but improbably wont buy that guitar. So yeah, anyone got any suggestions for me? Thanks :)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Yamaha L series, Seagulls....it depends on what you are looking for really. Do you want a pure acoustic or a preamp? Will you be fingerpicking and playing instrumentals or will it have to compliment your singing? I recently tried a few in that price bracket and went with the Seagull S6 Spruce because it sounded so good. I recommend you try as many as you can in your price range to make sure you like the neck and tone. Try to find a shop that will set it up nicely for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    If you love the Freshman why not keep playing it there's no shame in playing a guitar that's a bit beat up.
    Look at Willie Nelson's guitar Trigger it's nearly as famous as he is -
    Damien Rice's battered Lowden, Glen Hansard's Takamine, Michael Hedges Martin D28, the list is endless.

However, the answer to your question is a Yamaha LL16M.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewan71ewan71 Frets: 1
    Forge said:
    Yamaha L series, Seagulls....it depends on what you are looking for really. Do you want a pure acoustic or a preamp? Will you be fingerpicking and playing instrumentals or will it have to compliment your singing? I recently tried a few in that price bracket and went with the Seagull S6 Spruce because it sounded so good. I recommend you try as many as you can in your price range to make sure you like the neck and tone. Try to find a shop that will set it up nicely for you.
    Thanks for the advice, it wouldn't really matter about a pre-amp or not for me as I very rarely have my freshman plugged in. I had taken a look a Seagull guitars but i dont really like the narrow headstock. I mainly play rhythm guitar along with singing with the odd bit of picking. I think the L series is probably the way I'll go. Thanks.
  • ewan71ewan71 Frets: 1
    If you love the Freshman why not keep playing it there's no shame in playing a guitar that's a bit beat up.
    Look at Willie Nelson's guitar Trigger it's nearly as famous as he is -
    Damien Rice's battered Lowden, Glen Hansard's Takamine, Michael Hedges Martin D28, the list is endless.

However, the answer to your question is a Yamaha LL16M.
    yeah, I totally get you, I will always play my Freshman but want to keep it in it's case for special occasions, i think over time it will probably end up like Trigger. haha. The L series is a good shout though, thanks :)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    You can get a Japanese takamine for the price and they really are amazing guitars :-)
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I played a GS Mini E today. Loved it. See my review in my thread about travel guitars :) if you are plugging in, its gorgeous :D
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Have you tried Faith? Very popular round these parts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

'Awibble'
    Watch from 3:09 ^
    'Awibble'
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited June 2015
    You can get a Sigma 15 series for that much. All solid mahogany.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Welcome.
    I took your fret cherry.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited June 2015
    The full sized, lower-end Taylors (100 and 200 Series) are also worth a look. They are Mexican built and have laminated backs and sides - like the GS Mini - but like all Taylors, they play superbly.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Faith for me..super guitars.. or if your buying s/h,i saw a stanford om5 at a great price on gumtree.none of guitars mentioned will come close imho.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    The Martin 000X1AE is very good.  It's a bit unconventional with the Stratobond neck and the HPL back and sides but it's a really good guitar.  I think it's the fact that it's unfinished - it lets the wood vibrate without any damping.  It sounds better than the gloss finished Martins that cost 2 or 3 times as much.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    +1 for Faith. Nice tone, nice feel, absolute confidence in the intonation.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself