PRS reintroduce the McCarty with a thicker back

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    I've been waiting for this to happen.
    Absolutely getting one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11524
    Is the thicker back making a thicker guitar or have they reduced the thickness of the maple top?  I'm hoping it's the latter.  There doesn't appear to be any faux binding on the one in the picture.

I love PRS but they just don't sound as good as my Gibsons.  I think it's because the maple tops are too thick.  I'd love to try one with a thinner top.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I wonder if this will be as popular as the DGT has been. Maybe not as it doesn't have the trem. But I think the thicker body and vintage style pickups (if good) will make it quite a good middle ground for comfort and tone.

I wish they'd make the adjustable bridge the standard one. I think Paul genuinely prefers the tone of the one piece design. But the killer is if you need the adjustable you're out £200 or so to buy it. It is the main reason I've passed on so many killer PRS deals.

Also spec sheet says locking tuners, I thought the original used the vintage types as found on the original single cuts.
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Confused - the McCarty was always thicker than the CU.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

The McCarty (and the DGT, based on the McCarty) always had a thicker back,

From PRS support:

McCARTY MODEL: 1994 - 2007. First 100 signed and numbered, wide-fat 22-fret neck only, East coast maple top, 1/8th of an inch thicker mahogany back, stop-tail, vintage-style tuners, covered Dragon Bass PRS humbuckers, changed to McCarty Pickups in ’95 and now includes a push/pull coil-tap on the tone control, 3-way toggle pickup selector, East Indian Rosewood Neck option added in 1998

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11524
    The McCarty back was always thicker than the Custom.  The maple top was the same depth so the overall guitar was thicker as well.  If they are now saying that the new one is thicker, I would interpret that as thicker still.  Unfortunately the website doesn't give detailed measurements.

The old McCarty also had the faux binding which is why I was wondering whether they have made the back thicker by making the top thinner as the one in the link doesn't.  I couldn't find anything with Google, or on TGP or Vintage Rocker to confirm either way.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667

I found it puzzling why they decided to drop it for a couple of years. Will definitely check these out......better start saving now.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12056
    They did that with the custom 22, probably to create a buzz and to let NOS sell out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    They did that with the custom 22, probably to create a buzz and to let NOS sell out.

Could be. 58/15 pickups......I've had a couple of PRS with 57/08's which were excellent so it will be interesting to see what they sound like. Locking tuners are a big plus as well.

I should add I want one in black.

:)
    I think it would be the 58/15 pickups too, since the McCarty is a tribute to TM and what he would've built back in the day so it makes sense to put in some 58/15 as opposed to the 85/15.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

https://youtu.be/bhP3t0vbsfQ

"The PRS McCarty model features a slightly thicker back for enhanced tone and sustain and the new 58/15 treble and bass pickups, which were personally designed by Paul Reed Smith. 58/15’s are a vintage style pickup with exceptional clarity and focused midrange. Additional appointments include a push/pull tone control with a 3-way toggle pickup switch for a complete palette of tones, a bound rosewood fretboard, and PRS stoptail bridge."

Zodiac51 said:

https://youtu.be/bhP3t0vbsfQ

"The PRS McCarty model features a slightly thicker back for enhanced tone and sustain and the new 58/15 treble and bass pickups, which were personally designed by Paul Reed Smith. 58/15’s are a vintage style pickup with exceptional clarity and focused midrange. Additional appointments include a push/pull tone control with a 3-way toggle pickup switch for a complete palette of tones, a bound rosewood fretboard, and PRS stoptail bridge."

Remind me never to buy a PRS amp....el tone crapola. Cleaned up nice but the overdriven tones............
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    In short, changes to the last "normal" McCarty model are just the pickups, tuners, and neck binding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    In short, changes to the last "normal" McCarty model are just the pickups, tuners, and neck binding.
    Yep. Doesn't look like moon inlays are an option either, just birds. Still want one though.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    I'd rather pick up a DC245 Ted instead, but I like the shorter scale and Santana headstocks on them.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Fortunately it's nowt like a Tele, thus, I have no need at all to save anything for one.

Phew. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5032
    A lovely looking guitar.  I wish I could afford it......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Looks and sounds great - how much you reckon these will cost? 
    Looks and sounds great - how much you reckon these will cost? 
    £3,000? 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Not too bad - I see the new anniversary models can go for close to £4k. I don't like the white outline on the fretboard on the new models, though.