This Country Would Have Zero Retail Problems If...

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Everyone was like Graham @gspbasses and Paul at Zilla.

Today has seemed a bit like my birthday as the UPS guy just delivered two great packages.

First off, a couple of weeks back I started a thread for neck recommendations for my quest to put together a new number one Strat.  I got some great options including a couple of people tagging in Graham.  I was specifically looking for chunky and knew (or thought) this would limit my options.  Graham contacted me to tell me he had a few necks that would be suitable including a birdseye and rosewood chunkster.   I arranged to buy it off him but only then did Graham realise that the one he was recalling was left handed so instead he finished off another one beautifully for me.  The photos in it's raw state really do not do justice to the birdseye but I will update you all when it's done.  In the meantime I asked Graham if he had or could make me a Jazzmaster neck to go with a body I had.  Better still he offered me one of his incredible neck and bodies.  I am completely over the moon with all.  They are predictably phenomenal. Top bloke.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/JM%20Necks_zps74sxvnpk.jpg

Second up, a few days back after a week or so of searching I asked if anyone had any 2x12s going.  I got some great offers and very nearly ended up doing a deal with a guy on Facebook for a Zilla local to me but compared to what I was offered on the forum it was overpriced by a fair bit.  On Tuesday night after putting the kids to bed I came onto the forum to find a message in my inbox from @andy1839. ; He had very kindly forwarded onto me an email he had received from Paul at Zilla listing some surplus stock that Paul was selling off.  One that stood out for me was an orange Fatboy.  I emailed Paul at 10pm on Tuesday expecting a response the next day at the earliest.  I got a lovely reply about 10 minutes later.  Yesterday Paul asked me what speakers and grille cloth I'd like - which he also did me a deal on and low and behold this morning the UPS guy delivered this.  On top of this it was cheaper than the used and marked on on Facebook. Another top bloke.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/Zilla%20Cab_zpszrppj1mu.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Cab looks cool, the black piping frames the wicker nicely (IIRC actual orange cabs don't have any piping).  Does it have a solid back or 3 piece?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    edited June 2015
    Nice one mate, I'm pleased you got sorted. Looks killer. Spot on choice with the grille cloth too.

I have to admit the orange one stood out for me too, although those Super Fatboys he has in are awesome but they look huge!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Paul at Zilla is a legend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My @gspbasses thinline arrives and, predictably, the neck and body are both astoundingly beautiful. The neck pocket fit is so incredibly perfect! It just fits, super snug without being too tight. The f hole needs no work at all, and he's even sanded the body beautifully - I just need to key it for finishing and it'll be beautiful.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    @guitarfishbay Yeah the Oranges don't have piping, they use that angled frame. I went for salt and pepper cloth because I wanted it to look like it's own thing rather than an Orange wannabe. It is a thing of beauty. It's also got a killer pair of creambacks living inside. It's sealed as I've got a cracking MJW cab that is open back an new I'd only end up using this closed. 

@andy1839 If you end up getting a super fatboy I'd love to hear your thoughts. I wanted something that fitted squarely under my Twin but if the SFB is any better than the FB then it probably ranks as the best cab ever. Paul was so brilliant I am determined to go back to him againfor something before the end of the year. 

@ThePrettyDamned The fitting of the neck pocket on the JM is unbelievably precise, exactly as you described.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    @randomhandclaps Very good score with the Jazzmaster! You are in for a treat once that is finished, my @GSPBasses Tele has seen off 2 Fender Custom Shop Tele's already!

Just finishing up a GSP Junior too, can't wait to get that in action either :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Awesome looking gear.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    Isn't it great when things just work? :D Great looking cab and the guitar body has a nice grain on it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Paul @ Zilla is a proper dude. 

One day I will take up a bitsa challenge and that looks like the right place to look for resources too!
    I gave the cab a thoroughly good workout last night, only with the Orange Rocker so far (which is what is was bought for) and it goes phenomenally well. As the Rocker is more modern sounding than the AD30 the GBs in my other cab were a bit to loose and raggedy. I'm not a V30 fan in general, had them in my old Orange and IMO not only do I not like the compression they had but Oranges never really strike me as needing help with punch in the mid-range or sounding in-your-face. Paul recommended trying the Creambacks and I'd read and heard enough of them to be pretty certain he was right. They are tighter than the GBs but not as aggressive as the V30s. With the low end provided by the Fatboy they sound great so not missing the 4x12s.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    Yeah Paul at zilla is an absolute top bloke, I met him when I went to pickup my cab and nothing was too much trouble for him.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited June 2015
    Which creambacks did you get?  I have a H75, it sounds pretty good actually but I think I am a dyed in the wool V30 man at heart.

Controversially, I think good 2x12s sound every bit as good if not better than 4x12s for recording.

I had the Mesa OS 4x12, the one everyone involved in heavy music lusts over, and I personally thought the 2x12 sounded better under a mic.  Pretty much same ballpark but crunchier highs with less boom and more punch.  Still more than enough low end.
    @guitarfishbay - They are 65s. Really superb.