Sussing humbucker impedance

What's Hot
Howdy all.
I have a humbucker who's strength I know not. I have a multi-meter with no instructions & I'm not sure how it works. The meter is not an auto one, it has a whole range of setting to select from. When I set it to 20k I get a reading of 10:45. Am I right in assuming that means the pickup has an impedance of 10:45k. Probably a silly question I know, but I thought I'd better check. A frend wants to buy it & wanted to know it's strength first.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I don't think resistance and impedance are the same thing.  You can't really tell the strength from dc resistance unless you have a lot more info to go with it i.e wire type, magnet type, scatter etc.  I'm sure Ash or someone else will be along soon to let me know I'm wrong.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Yeah, you're measuring the DC resistance there BUT that is the figure that most manufacturers etc tend to supply  for comparison  anyway, so no harm, no foul.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1675

Do not believe it!

Fact is, digital meters have huge problems measuring the DC resistance of high inductance devices. Even my quite expensive Fluke 83 would go daft on some transformer windings!

A good check (if you REALLY need to know) is to put a resistance in parallel approximately equal to the reading you found. The resultant should of course be about half. If it isn't the meter is telling porkies!

Dave.

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    set to 20k ohms and put one end on each wire. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    10.45K sounds about right for a DC resistance. If so that would be a medium output pickup, assuming a typical wind.

What pickup is it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein