Squier M80 NGD - apologies to MyHermes - now with pics

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 649
edited June 2015 in Guitar
Apparently my Squier M80 (probably shit but kind of cool looking guitar I coveted when I started playing over ten years ago) was delivered yesterday "through the letterbox", i.e. not signed for on arrival. It is not the world's smallest guitar. To customer services!

edit: turned out my neighbour answered the door and placed the guitar out of the way behind some storage boxes without telling me. MyApologies to MyHermes!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Oooh it always fills me with dread when a seller uses hermes, the prob is they use average Joe and average joe's car as a delivery vehicle, and pay them pittance, or nothing if nines in to take delivery, so because of this hermes will never ever be decent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrchi said:
    Oooh it always fills me with dread when a seller uses hermes, the prob is they use average Joe and average joe's car as a delivery vehicle, and pay them pittance, or nothing if nines in to take delivery, so because of this hermes will never ever be decent.
    It said "other courier". Which I often use as well so I can shop around pre-posting. But yes, a lot of these parcel firms cut every corner. The guy seems nice enough and his feedback is good so I'm sure it's a problem with them rather than the seller though.
  • Wouldn't you know it, it was delivered after all. My neighbour had let them in and subsequently put it out of the way In the hall, behind a load of storage boxes... And didn't tell me. Oh well! It's a surprisingly lovely thing. Slab body, asymmetric bevel long before PRS were doing it, standard fender c shape neck but with a 24.75 inch scale and decent enough electronics. The body is made from a fair few bits of wood but the grain showing through looks rather nice too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited June 2015
    mrchi;658456" said:
    I always ask every ebay seller which courier they will be using.

If they say Hermes and are unwilling to use an alternative then I simply won't buy from them.

I'm sure that they're not all bad but the clowns round my way are practically vegetables, complete numbskulls that can't even string a sentence together but boy can they throw a package over an 8 foot fence from 20 metres back.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Wouldn't you know it, it was delivered after all
    Pics!!!
  • Chuffola said:
    Wouldn't you know it, it was delivered after all
    Pics!!!
    Pics to come :)
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 649
    edited September 2015
    A few pictures for your enjoyment. I'm really warming to this guitar, I kind of thought of it as a Fender-y Gibson mashup - elements of the SG with the 24.75 inch scale length, worn brown finish with a pretty bit of grain poking through, tone and volume pot locations, explorer-ish headstock, but it also has PRS elements to it with the cutaway shaping and bevelled top. It's still bright and very fender-y sounding unplugged, but the scale length, humbuckers and hardtail bridge give it a very throaty SG-ish voice. The upper fret access is very nice too. I really dig the neck, the slightly shorter scale, but nevertheless fender modern c type neck feels really good and the whole guitar sits very nicely when playing sat down. Another has just cropped up on eBay (like buses), I might buy a spare...

As far as upgrades (I know I just bought the thing), the pickups are maybe a bit polite but I think the zingy unplugged voice might really sparkle with some humbucker sized P90s. Pots do the whole 100% loud on 10, basically off on 8 thing. Switch seems decent enough though. Tuning seems pretty steady and intonation and sustain is good so I won't go messing with any of the mechanics. In fact the action is so nice I can't help but think it had a setup at some point, or a previous owner knew what they were doing and gave it the once over.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Lovely finish on that!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very nice.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Lovely finish on that!
    Yeah it's somewhere between the fender "Shit Brown" aka Walnut (I used to have a mustang in this finish which I rather liked, but never got on with the mustang-ness of it) and the Gibson "Poo Brown" aka worn brown...
  • ARRRRGH I missed one for £45 on eBay, I got distracted before the obligatory last 5 seconds bid. I hope someone on the forum bought it...
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Nice axe, glad it worked out for you man,
    So is this also a Cort build?
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770

That's a really cool guitar.

I'm quite jealous

• Sarge said:
    Nice axe, glad it worked out for you man,
    So is this also a Cort build?
    I believe so, general consensus is the Master series instruments were made by Cort.

gubble said:

That's a really cool guitar.

I'm quite jealous

Hey thanks! I always had a soft spot for it, either I've got a very nice example or they were a bit of a hidden gem. Based on the fact I got mine for £70 and one just sold for a ridiculous £45 (although not quite as nice finish or condition) I expect you could bag one for not too much when it next comes up ;)