What's a decent affordable DC JR copy?

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2433
edited June 2015 in Guitar
I'm possibly looking for a dc (with a view to refinishing in tv yeller) .
Requirements are:
Set neck.
P90s.
Not plywood!
Cheap, like £100 - £150 ish cheap, or thereabouts. Or trades if there's something available amongst you guys?

So far I think I'm looking at a Sheridan A150, so what else is out there? Antoria? Westfield? Vintage?

Hit me!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    It depends how far you want to get into your TV finish really.

If you are just intending to get a rattle can of TV finish and spray an existing guitar then Vintage would be a good guitar for the money.

If you are wanting to do it 'properly' i.e. with a white base coat, dark grain filler and an amber top coat then I'd really recommend getting a bare husk and starting from scratch. Precision Guitars or Faber do a cheaper junior kit although reviews on quality are mixed. You need to make sure the grain/pores are free of any sawdust so the filler will sit in it after misting a white base coat, giving the famous TV grain pattern. If you were striping a cheap body, I'd think the grain would be filled with some quick and simple goop that might take an age to remove. 

This is IF you are going down the anal, cork sniffer route like I would of course! ;-) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Have checked out Raygun Relics?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    The guitar really needs to be mahogany too, for full effect

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    And yes, the most important point, missed by me! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Vintage, Revelation...
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Thanks for the replies.
    I should have pointed out that playability is the first priority, any future tv yellowing would come after I'm sure I'm not gonna get a gas attack and shift it on.
    Can anyone give me the general consensus on the Vintage dc?
    I spoke to an acquaintance who seems to know his stuff regarding the Jr's, and he's saying the Sheridan A150 is the closest body shape to the real deal, anyone here have any experience with them, or sheridan guitars in general?
    Did Epiphone do a dc? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks for any help you have or can offer, I'm a jr noob!
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Sarge said:
    Did Epiphone do a dc? I can't seem to find one.
    http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Junior#Les_Paul_Junior_Double_Cut
    Stop crying, start buying
    @Moss thanks, I'm an idiot, of course I've seen these, probably hundreds of times!

I'm blaming the liquid lunch :^o
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    edited June 2015
    I suppose you could try the cruiser LJ 550. It's cheap, double cut, has what look like p90s, can have a 'tv yellow' finish. This is the entry on their website :

http://craftereurope.com/prodinfo9771810/

You'll notice it says 'bolt on neck', (but the pics I've seen on google of the back seem to show a glued-in neck). Even though I emailed them a few months a go telling them that the description was incorrect as far as the controls go (actually 2x tone and 2x volume) they still haven't changed the description from  '2V+1T'!

There are conflicting reports on whether they're any good or not, and whether their quality control is all that good. So  a bit like Gibson, then eh?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha.

Thanks, I'll look into that!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Make sure it will scratch that itch or you'll only end up selling it to get a Gibbo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    RayGun Relic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd second the suggestions of Raygun Relics- I had one of his SG Jr's it was great,  but I sold it to help finance my dream of owning a Gibson LP Jr single cut and yet every time one of @GrahamM 's creations pops up on my Facebook feed I have a small twinge of regret that I didn't buy one of his. (Not a big enough twinge to make me sell my Gibson mind you!)
    The rayguns do look stunning but my budget is low for this having not even played a jr (style) before unless you count the Hondo professional HD1010 double cut.....I don't, even though the rayguns seem very good value.

I may have just secured a Sheridan A150 for half my budget, seems a no-brainer IF it's a set neck, just waiting for a confirmation on that.

Updates as and when, all your input is hugely appreciated, cheers!