Manics Cardiff Castle - I now need one of these!

What's Hot
lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851

Having spent the night with the Mrs against the barrier in front of my favourite band of the last 25 years I'm obsessed with these FretKing guitars. Does anyone have one or had a go on one?image

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Looks a bit unwieldy to me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    I owned the one below for a short while. It is a very versatile guitar especially with the varicoil system. It was a fairly heavy beast and I didn't quite get on with the neck profile compare to Fret King's Esprit which I also own. So I moved it on but build quality was 1st class and there was almost every tone you could want at your fingertips. Many people hate the unorthodox shape but I quite liked itimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    What an odd shape guitar!! It's quite a cool shape to the right of the bridge, but that huge square bit is pretty ugly IMO. Maybe it's one of those guitars which looks cool when being played?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited June 2015
    I was about to say that - I can't say I like it in isolation, but maybe it's one of those guitars that only looks cool once it's being worn. (In which case, pics needed!)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    Ugh.

Looks like a guitar birthday cake that went wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    We've just been talking about Fret Kings on another thread, they are very good guitars for the dosh........
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I find this thread offensive to my eyes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I love Wilkinson parts. He also did wonders for Vintage as a brand. I read his story in Guitarist years ago and that was really interesting too.

Aesthetically though, some of his choices are a bit too non-traditional for me. I find the guitar above a bit shovel like. Reminds me of Stan's jaw from American Dad.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    BigMonka;660538" said:
    Maybe it's one of those guitars which looks cool when being played?
    Let's hope so. It looks shit as a still life. Horrid.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If it counts, when I saw Jack White in the O2, he accidentally kicked down half the drum kit during Lazaretto.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    edited June 2015
    olafgarten;661084" said:
    If it counts, when I saw Jack White in the O2, he accidentally kicked down half the drum kit during Lazaretto.
    It might count in a different thread?!

That FretKing body shape is an abortion.

It does look better strapped on though when the strumming arm covers half of it and softens the shape of the upper bout.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3389
    I just assumed Fretking had something on him, so were blackmailing JDB so he has to use is for a song? 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Aren't Fret-King part of the same JHS range of Trev Wilkinson designed brands that also include Italia whose basses I believe Nicky Wire plays ?

Maybe that's how JDB ended up with one ?