Singers/guest players using guitars as props.

What's Hot
streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
Does this pee you off (perhaps more than it should)?

I'm watching the Pretenders here and Hynde keeps swapping Tele's that look as good as her, but are mostly mute.

Arrrrgh!

I mean I realise that sometimes the rhythm guitar can be buried way down in the mix but sheesh...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    It used to annoy me more than it does now, but I know exactly what you mean. I began playing guitar as a teen in the late 80s and I got very fed up of endless bands on TotP holding guitars they didn't even know how to play (along with the ubiquitous DX7 not plugged into anything).

Was a big Springsteen fan, and yes I know he can play very well, but more than half the time you get the impression you're not hearing him in the mix. That said - the Dancing In The Dark video shows what happens when he doesn't have his guitar as a prop, so maybe he should keep it.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    I nearly always sing whilst playing my guitar as I front the band. Every now and again I'll be asked to sing a couple of songs to backing tracks, or a pianist. In that setting, I have literally no idea what to do with my hands. They sort of hang limply at my sides, or make the odd floppy token gesture. I'm sure I must look a bit special. I'd kill to have a guitar to hold, even if it's not plugged in. Makes me appreciate the stagecraft of decent solo singers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I think the all time classic example was David Bowie in the late 80s/ early 90s.

I vividly recall seeing him on telly playing a one string guitar ( maybe a V).
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    4114Effects;660576" said:
    I nearly always sing whilst playing my guitar as I front the band. Every now and again I'll be asked to sing a couple of songs to backing tracks, or a pianist. In that setting, I have literally no idea what to do with my hands. They sort of hang limply at my sides, or make the odd floppy token gesture. I'm sure I must look a bit special. I'd kill to have a guitar to hold, even if it's not plugged in. Makes me appreciate the stagecraft of decent solo singers.
    Just need to channel bits of Jarvis and Mick and Thom etc and let it happen. Otherwise the danger is you'll look like Constable Fraser in that Due South episode where he sings in a bar. #obscurereference
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    @4114Effects Have you thought of going down the Joe Cocker route, when you sing without playing guitar?

;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    Or go the Freddie Mercury route - carry around the top half a mic stand to do air guitar with.

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    Skarloey said:
    I think the all time classic example was David Bowie in the late 80s/ early 90s.

I vividly recall seeing him on telly playing a one string guitar ( maybe a V).
    1990 tour with Belew on guitar... pretty sure he actually played that V a bit, though, for the riff on Fame  :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    Paul Carrack on the Strat Pack DVD - no point whatsoever in him wearing a guitar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23682
    I guess for some people it is quite literally a "prop", something to hide behind and boost their confidence?  It can't do any harm.

But I must admit I had to laugh a little when Bono had that cycling accident and said he might not be able to play guitar again...

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    I remember an interview with Mick Jagger where he said if he held a guitar on a few numbers he didn't have to do so much running around. But it is something to do with your hands and, mebbe, puts you psychologically in the rock'n'roll zone.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Philly_Q;661070" said:
    I guess for some people it is quite literally a "prop", something to hide behind and boost their confidence?  It can't do any harm.

But I must admit I had to laugh a little when Bono had that cycling accident and said he might not be able to play guitar again...
    Can't imagine that Bono would have confidence issues ;)
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23682
    Moss said:
    Philly_Q;661070" said:

Can't imagine that Bono would have confidence issues ;)
    No.  I probably should've made those two separate posts....  >:D<
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    I'm still unconvinced that's genuine, since there are a couple of places where what you hear apparently isn't the same as what her hands are doing, and there's absolutely no handling noise or anything else in the guitar sound which you would expect from a Rickenbacker on a noisy stage. Considering it was published by someone with a grievance against her, how difficult would it have been to dub on a badly-played guitar track and try to make her look bad… and why would there even be a dry feed from the guitar if she was just using it as a prop?

I'm not a fan or have any other reason for defending her, but something about it just seems fake to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    ICBM said:
    I'm still unconvinced that's genuine, since there are a couple of places where what you hear apparently isn't the same as what her hands are doing, and there's absolutely no handling noise or anything else in the guitar sound which you would expect from a Rickenbacker on a noisy stage. Considering it was published by someone with a grievance against her, how difficult would it have been to dub on a badly-played guitar track and try to make her look bad… and why would there even be a dry feed from the guitar if she was just using it as a prop?

I'm not a fan or have any other reason for defending her, but something about it just seems fake to me.
    The sync issue is explained in the description - same performance but not his video source.

Handling/string noise, could there not be an eq or noise reduction explanation?

The rest of the show is available too and I can't imagine anybody being that dedicated to performing a prank!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    ICBM said:

The sync issue is explained in the description - same performance but not his video source.

Handling/string noise, could there not be an eq or noise reduction explanation?

The rest of the show is available too and I can't imagine anybody being that dedicated to performing a prank!
    You're right about the handling noise, when she lets go of the guitar there's no sound.  Maybe, as streethawk says, there is a noise reduction unit, with a heavy clamp on it. 

Having said that, Courtney has been around a bit, and you'd think from all the time she's been playing with her Hole that she would have picked up some kind of basic guitar skills.  She sounds like a beginner in this clip.  

I remember reading that Richey Edwards couldn't really play a guitar and he more of less used it as a prop on stage and his guitar was very low in the mix.  Not sure if there's any truth to this though.  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Don't know what to do with your hands?
    Play Harmonica.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    You're right about the handling noise, when she lets go of the guitar there's no sound.  Maybe, as streethawk says, there is a noise reduction unit, with a heavy clamp on it. 

Having said that, Courtney has been around a bit, and you'd think from all the time she's been playing with her Hole that she would have picked up some kind of basic guitar skills.  She sounds like a beginner in this clip.
    If it's real, and she's not in the mix - which she clearly isn't, since there's no trace of any of the clashing chords when you hear the full thing - then why would she bother playing accurately? If anything, it's surprising it's that *good*, particularly if she isn't in the monitors either - it's really hard to play well when you can't hear yourself at all.

Who cares anyway? The full gig sounded fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein