Volume roll-off question (Les Paul)

ParkerParker Frets: 960
Some of you may have seen that I recently bought a LP GT. I absolutely love it, but I am a fan of rolling off the volume to clean up my tone and fade-out the song at the end. My new guitar seems to stay at 100% up to the last tenth of a turn where it drops out. gibson says '....a high-pass filter that maintains highs when you back off the volume and smoothes the taper from one to 10. Volume controls remain entirely independent even when toggle is in the middle position'.

Any idea why is drops straight out? Their blurb would indicate it should roll off?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Sounds like it has a sub-optimal treble bleed.

Snip it out and see if that improved things.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Is it a cap?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    It sounds like they've fitted over-large treble pass caps combined with reverse ("independent") pot wiring - that would do that. What a stupid idea…

Remove the caps and swap the pickup and switch wires over on each volume pot.

The may have used linear taper pots as well, they've done that in the past.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys - think I'd better post a pic before I butcher my wiring!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2250
    I think the volume bleed circuit is a cap with a resistor soldered across the wires. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    Remove the small brown caps and the resistors on the volume controls.

Swap the red wires on the volume control centre terminals to the other non-grounded terminal and whichever wire (red and white - they will be different colours on each control since these go up the same cable to the switch) onto the middle terminal.

That will give you back standard Les Paul wiring.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM;668867" said:
    Remove the small brown caps and the resistors on the volume controls.

Swap the red wires on the volume control centre terminals to the other non-grounded terminal and whichever wire (red and white - they will be different colours on each control since these go up the same cable to the switch) onto the middle terminal.

That will give you back standard Les Paul wiring.
    Legend - thanks!
    Done! Perfect thanks!