Replacement Key for Hardcase?

GruGru Frets: 339
No idea if anyone has ever asked or tried getting one?

Are the key locks on most hard cases the same, eg Fender cases are a generic key, or Hiscox are generally all the same? And the lock is a deterant rather than for security.

I was looking at getting a replacement for one that is lost, but not sure if it's possible to get one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23033
    I don't know where to get replacement keys, but they are very, very basic locks.  

I had a Washburn case which somehow got stuck in the locked position (but you could quite easily force the latch to open the case).  I tried a few keys from Gibson cases and it only took a few minutes to find one which fitted.  You could probably just turn it with a screwdriver or something, I suspect.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72538
    They're certainly not for any real security! They're very generic. I don't know of any that aren't a single-lever "lock", so any key that goes into the slot and will turn will almost certainly work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    I don't doubt they are very basic and very few different options...be real surprised if generic ones don't fit.
    They are more for ensuring the case doesn't pop open whilst carrying then actually keeping unwanted guests out of the case unless they are the very expensive ones. Think one has TSA locks on it.
    What case is it for ? Be pretty easy to borrow a generic one and get one cut at one of the key shops I'm sure
    I have about 20 hard cases but never lock them or even tried to see if they fit others. Let me know what make & I'll see whether they operate the others
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Take the case into a locksmiths?

I'm sure they could sort you out with a key in a couple of minutes.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    bazxkr;661367" said:
    I have about 20 hard cases but never lock them or even tried to see if they fit others. Let me know what make & I'll see whether they operate the others
    The case is a Hiscox. Just to confirm, as per other comments, I don't doubt that they will be easy to open, it was more on whether the keys case to case are the same.
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Have you asked Hiscox? They're helpful people in my experience.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    the_twin;661644" said:
    Have you asked Hiscox? They're helpful people in my experience.
    Not yet. Didn't think I would have much joy on a Sunday.

Will try tomorrow.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    This seems to me to be a great opportunity to learn a new skill.

;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    I used a key I stumbled upon from a £1 shop luggage padlock, fitted 2 different cases, both early 80s.