Gibson ES335 2nd hand value

GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
I've started looking at 2nd hand prices of ES335's on ebay, but the completed listing sales seem to vary drastically. I'm seeing some 'custom shops' selling for less than dots. I can see that the older ones are fetching a few hundred more than ones built post 2000. 

That ended with no bids, at just over 1k. It that overpriced??

Someone please enlighten me. Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I wish I knew the answer I'll be very interested to listen to opinions on this, but it does seem generally guitars 2nd hand are Getting cheaper (post 70s) maybe because of the amount of guitars in the world compared with the recent lack of uptake, e I think we have synths vsts, and the general ease of creating a whole track on a computer to thank for this.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    edited June 2015
    Took me a while to sell my Dot, ended up with £1200
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited June 2015
    The one you linked probably ended because the seller got an offer outside eBay and pulled the auction early.

There are some good bargains to be had used. And £1200-1400 should bag you a nice 335.

The early bird catches the worm though. There are two or three sellers on eBay that sweep up Gibsons for around the £1k and then realist them for £1500 - £2.2k on BIN's.

Set up an automatic search and check it regularly and you will get one.

Good luck.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Gibson have confused the market over the past few years with several attempts at slightly cheaper versions....Satin finish etc.
    I think this is the main reason why the average price of all regular Es-335s has dipped a little.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Gibson 335s vary noticeably so don't think the £1100 bargain is automatically as good as the £1500 guitar - or vice versa. Custom shop 335 is pretty meaningless as all 335s coming out of Memphis since they moved production there have the word Custom in their COA and documentation. Classic57 pickups and Burstbucker/Custombucker pickups sound different so can alter the sound of the guitar. It is perfectly possible you might prefer the sound and feel of the Dot to one of the more expensive models.

So buying without trying may or may not result in a bargain for you :)
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Makes it hard to price the earlier Es-333 model which is a perfectly good guitar.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Richtone music are selling off a load of 'used' 2014 Gibsons and have a few 335's. I'd bet these are probably ex display rather than used -so might be worth checking out.
    Previously known as stevebrum