Strings for a Taylor Big Baby

What's Hot
Hello guys, 

Bought my Taylor big Baby in the Summer of last year, and never played it! I just went back to electric - I don't know, I'm just not inspired by the acoustic. 

Anyway, I tried to sell it, but had no luck! So I've decided I'm going to keep it! My plan is, to just make sure I play it 15 minuets everyday! 
Along with my usual electric practise of just over an hour a day, can't hurt hey?

So, it still has it's original strings and I'm going to take to get set up. I know very little about acoustics, so don't want to make a mistake on string gauge. From like I can tell from reading online, the guitar should have Elixir nanoweb lights? Are these 12 gauge? I'd basically just like to restring with the same strings and definitely the same gauge! If someone could provide me with a link to the strings I should be buying, it'd really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot,

Rich 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited June 2015
    I have one and the Taylor FAQS say they come shipped with nanoweb 12s but I personally prefer nanoweb 11s, especially if you're used to an electric
  • Oh cool thanks for the tip, 11s eh - hah are they equivalent of 9s in the electric world?

Sounds good me, I think I will go with 11s, how are they for finger picking stuff? I don't know if it makes a difference, just asking incase it does!

Thanks, I do appreciate the advice. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    On the BB, they don't feel so flimsy although some might feel that the high E would benefit from a 12 but generally, there's a good string balance there that works well for both strumming and finger - picking.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    My Taylor 310 was supplied with Elixirs. I got the impression all Taylor's were supplied with them....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Thanks guys, I think I'll go with 11s then, unless anyone has anything to warn me of! But they sound perfect Kebabkid, thanks. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    Rocker said:
    My Taylor 310 was supplied with Elixirs. I got the impression all Taylor's were supplied with them....
    True, but I much prefer the sound of my 310 with D'Addarios.

The Elixir HD Light set is probably worth a try, as they were developed with Taylor.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've never bought a set of Elixirs but I've played a few guitars that had them fitted and I found them a little dull compared to D'addarios. Of course that could just mean that they were older and dirtier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I personally prefer D'Addario's over anything else I've tried.