Guitar or Amp - which affects tone the most?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    siraxeman said:
    The actual correct answer is the amp. Anyone saying different is just plain rong.
    Whats a Plain rong?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    siraxeman said:
    The actual correct answer is the amp. Anyone saying different is just plain rong.

Anyone who spells wrong, rong is just plain wrong.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    Sassafras said:
    Agreed on the Marshall Class 5, a horrible raspy thing.
    I had a version 3 Valve Jnr that wasn't too bad, ended up giving it to my brother because it was just taking up valuable space in my tiny bijou flat.
    I didn't know the Champion 600 was awful, I've never tried it but I did quite like the idea of having one.
    I like the clean sounds from it.  The drive sounds are not good at all.  I don't know if that's the stock speaker or the amp.  I think the 6" Weber speaker is meant to improve things.

Overall I would agree that the amp is more important.  If you take the Champion 600 with stock speaker, I've not found a way to get a good drive sound from it with any guitar - and I've several really nice guitars.  I can take my brother in laws Squier Affinity Tele and get a genuinely good sound from it through a good amp - I know that for sure because I've done it.  It might not stay in tune for more than one song but it does sound good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Probably a reasonable comparison is £80 strat copy and £1500 CS Strat, vs £80 MG15 (or similar) vs £1500 amp de jour (a Carr something, round here).
    You could quite easily go out and sound gorgeous with a well-set-up Affinity (especially with £30 of second-hand pickups) and your Carr - I very much doubt you could so well with your CS strat - however much you undoubtedly love it - and an MG15.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom