Anyone have one of these? (and why on earth did the stop making them?)

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
edited June 2015 in Guitar

MIJ Jaguar Baritone (mid 00s).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Didn't they come out with something quit recently?

Sure it was an offset baritone.

Might be thinking of this, which is cheap and looks cooler!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited June 2015
    Nearly. You're thinking of the baritone variant of that:

Of course, if you like trems, or don't like antigua, then you buy the Squir VI and re-string it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Looks ugly and unappealing. Not surprised it's gone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    @AuldReekie has one.

It's very good, although I prefer the Bass VI, for the three pickups and the trem. The Squier one is excellent value for money, although the one I've seen had set-up issues and a high fret, and the stock strings are a bit crap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Surprising to see a trem on such thick strings. Would it have much effect on those strings?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    er, never needed one?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    ICBM said:
    @AuldReekie has one.

It's very good, although I prefer the Bass VI, for the three pickups and the trem. The Squier one is excellent value for money, although the one I've seen had set-up issues and a high fret, and the stock strings are a bit crap.

Great guitar, vg build quality, changed stock p/ups to SD jaguar hot (bridge) and vintage(neck)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    You want the Japanese domestic one. It has a built in fuzz, and "Bottom Master" on the headstock where comfort contour would be. Cool as mince.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I've played the Jap guitar. Aside from the slightly 'far eastern' nature of the pickups (harsh), the Jap Fender baritone Jag was awesome.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    edited June 2015
    mart said:
    Nearly. You're thinking of the baritone variant of that:

Of course, if you like trems, or don't like antigua, then you buy the Squir VI and re-string it.
    Mods can we add a Yuck button please.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I don't know why they insist on putting Strat output sockets on these things. Nasty.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Sassafras said:
    Surprising to see a trem on such thick strings. Would it have much effect on those strings?
    My mate has a CS Bass VI I play often. The term works surprisingly well, currently strung with La Bella flat wounds and sounds and plays brilliantly. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3340
    gusman2x said:
    You want the Japanese domestic one. It has a built in fuzz, and "Bottom Master" on the headstock where comfort contour would be. Cool as mince.
      Bottom Master?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Gagaryn said:
    Sassafras said:
    My mate has a CS Bass VI I play often. The term works surprisingly well, currently strung with La Bella flat wounds and sounds and plays brilliantly. 
    I've got a Squier VI strung as a baritone and I tested the trem last night. It will take the bottom string (tuned to A) down a semitone comfortably, and down a tone with a bit more effort. It's good for a little gentle shimmer.