Gibson 339

What's Hot
pmgpmg Frets: 299
Common opinion seems to be that a 339 sits somewhere between a Les Paul and a 335 tonally, if not leaning slightly towards a Les Paul tone. So, how close to a LP and is it similar to an ES LP?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3339
    I had one and hated it. Looked silly and small, cut aways were too small too. Sounded brilliant though. 57 Clasiscs from Memory.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I got one when they came out, and still love it dearly. It's definitely less Les Paul-ish than say a Les Paul.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I have a 339 but am thinking of getting a LP. Are they two completely different animals and if so is an ES LP a better comparison to a 339?
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    I have a R7 and a 59 reissue 335 and have a few friends that have 339's. I'd say the 339 is closer to a les Paul than a 335 but has a little bit of hollow body character. Sorry that probably doesn't help much!
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have an ES LP, but not a 339 or 335 so can't offer a comparison with those. 

It's certainly different and more "open/airy" than a regular Les Paul, and wonderfully light.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    It is simply in the middle. Gibson Midtown is more Les Paul-ish. 339 is brighter and airier than a typical Les Paul.

Maybe thats why the 339 hasn't been more successful - its neither a 335 nor a Les Paul, but it doesn't have its own new voice, just a compromise mix of the two. Great guitar though - I like the fatter neck on mine :)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298

I just got a Les Paul again and my general findings from playing at high volume last night can only be the obvious answer that my 339 certainly feels more like an acoustic with the thick neck and bassier tone. Maybe that was just last night for you but my Les Paul cuts through much more in the high mids and I may even put thicker strings on to get that harder response from my low strings.To my ears very different beasts, makes me kinda want one of those cherry red satin 335s out at the moment for a nice trio.

Not sure any of that helps much but here it is anyways.

Yeah I like my 339 and I find it to be quite different to my 335 so was wondering how close to a LP it is.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    I don't have a 335 so I can't comment on that but I have a 339 and a Les Paul.  The 339 is definitely not the same as the Les Paul.  It's a lighter sounding guitar, and there is a semi-hollow edge to the sound.
    crunchman;663623" said:
    I don't have a 335 so I can't comment on that but I have a 339 and a Les Paul.  The 339 is definitely not the same as the Les Paul.  It's a lighter sounding guitar, and there is a semi-hollow edge to the sound.
    Interesting. My 339 is nothing like my 335.

Thanks for all the comments -anyone out there compared a 339 and an es les Paul?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23034
    edited June 2015
    crunchman said:

Let's throw the CS-336 into the mix.  Looks like an ES-339, but actually gets a bit closer to a Les Paul because it's got a hollowed-out mahogany back with a maple top, rather than a pressed, laminated maple/poplar body. 

Philly_Q;663683" said:
    crunchman said:

Let's throw the CS-336 into the mix.  Looks like an ES-339, but actually gets a bit closer to a Les Paul because it's got a hollowed-out mahogany back with a maple top, rather than a pressed, laminated maple/poplar body. 

I left that out of the mix as I don't have a 336 and my reason for asking is I'm thinking of getting a LP but good information