Does this exist? Live mixer / interface / control surface...

Right, I've got a few festivals and things coming up in the summer which may be worth me updating / adding to my live sound rig for; at the same time I'm thinking of trying to re-build my home studio since I'll have a few weeks off work to hopefully get all creative.

For years the two have been pretty much mutually exclusive apart from microphones - live rig is all-analogue for ease of quick tweaking, recording rig is almost entirely digital for convenience and compactness.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone's aware of an all-in-one solution before I go spending money on separate live outboard (I'm happy with my Mackie 1604 desk if I remain analogue live, but could do with some more processing 'umph') as well as a bigger interface? The requirements are:

- at least eight analogue inputs, with decent mic preamps,

- be able to control Logic 9 on a Mac, with motorized faders,

- be able to work 'standalone' for live shows,

- ideally connect to the host computer via Firewire rather than USB (I've never had a problem getting a Firewire device to talk to my MacBook Pro, I've been, um, frustrated in the past by USB ones ;) ).

I've been mooching around and can't find anything that TOTALLY fits the bill - M-Audio Projectmix doesn't work as a standalone mixer, Presonus Studiolive won't control Logic, apparently even the Behringer X32 won't do the job without a £200-odd quid Firewire card and even then it seems it won't 'properly' run as a controller. Allen & Heath QU16 seems to get pretty close...but is over £1500...

Happy to spank the credit card a bit as if I can get one unit to do the job of a whole bunch of hardware I've got knocking around I'd hopefully be able to get a chunk of the expenditure back - but that's IF there's anything that'll do the job! Any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457

Tascam DM3200 with IF/FW firewire card we have 2 of the bigger brother DM4800 with firewire cards and have done many gigs on them 
    32 ASIO streams straight into a laptop with one firewire cable very good Hui control as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    That seems to be a good option, thanks Danny! Now just need to try and find one secondhand or B-stock; over two grand with the Firewire card might be a bit difficult to claw back on selling the analogue stuff ;) 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457
    IanSavage said:
    That seems to be a good option, thanks Danny! Now just need to try and find one secondhand or B-stock; over two grand with the Firewire card might be a bit difficult to claw back on selling the analogue stuff ;) 
    I recently brought a DM4800 with fire card and optional 8 in 8 extra analog card hard cased for £1800 so I suspect you could score a dm3200 for a grand 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Danny1969 said:
    IanSavage said:
    I recently brought a DM4800 with fire card and optional 8 in 8 extra analog card hard cased for £1800 so I suspect you could score a dm3200 for a grand 
    That's justifiable, I should be able to get a fair few hundred back getting rid of the 1604 and the outboard, and save a few hundred more not needing to buy a separate audio interface/controller for the Mac...
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited June 2015
    I've tracked (amongst other things) 3 hour long theatre shows with 24 channels into Reaper over usb on an x32, no issues at all. If fire wire is really a deal breaker, the early ones shipped with a dual usb/fire wire card so you might be able to get a deal on a second hand one, but I've never had an issue with the usb interface or the desk in general. I'd use with confidence. You're limited to using the 8 faders in the output section for remote control, but I'm sure I read about someone finding a way around that with additional software - I don't use one in a studio situation so haven't investigated further.

EDIT: You can also use the assignable controle for midi/remote control functions. On the full size x32, that's four knobs and eight buttons and you can have three pages of assignments, so that's 12/24 in total. The Compact and Producer don't have as many assignables (possibly just a bank of buttons, can't remember off the top of my head) but still give you some options.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4659
    edited June 2015
    Zoom R16?