NGD - Budget Ibanez Content

GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4149
edited June 2015 in Guitar
So I've been aware for some time that my heavy guitars and my shoulder aren't getting along. More than 20 minutes of playing my Les Pauls have me in pain. I did think of selling one of my heavier guitars and getting something equally high(ish) end but light. But decided that I'd be daft to sell a beloved Les Paul and so bought a relatively inexpensive Ibanez S521. Ordered on Sunday evening from Thomann, and it arrived here five minutes ago. Great service. Also £50 cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

I haven't plugged it in yet. Initial impression is that it is exactly what I was after. It's simple, very light and its minimalist aesthetics are very pleasing. As you might expect at this price point the finish isn't totally perfect - the fret ends are rather sharp. However it's a good looking guitar, for a great price and best of all it hardly weighs anything.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looks very nice. Happy NGD

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    I had the S771 hard tail which is identical except a middle singlecoil added. Once set up and fret polished they are just great guitars, very light and easy to play. They have a very big sound to them. I tried changing the pickups to some SD's I had but ended putting the originals back in as they suited the guitar better.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4149
    Given how slim the guitar is I am surprised how much sustain there is unplugged. Still not actually plugged it in yet as I've been busy this afternoon. Neck feels really great, very playable and the high fret access is superb - I don't normally venture up there much!

I wasn't planning on doing much with it - not even changing pickups. This is my bang around in the study guitar now. 

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Looks great. The MOL finish is lovely.
    I plugged it in. Sounds damn fine.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have looked at that ibby several times 
    You cant go wrong at the price they sell for

I would suggest you see a sports therapist about that shoulder. Buying a lighter guitar is not a fix for a problem like that 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    It's a weight, fitness and posture issue. I am already working on it. But come on, wife approved guitar purchase, they are like gold dust. :)

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    no approval needed in the buzzbox house hold :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I didn't say it was needed :)

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12932
    Get a decent neoprene padded strap. Makes a huge difference to perceived weight.

Neotech Mega - well worth it.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I have a 3" wide Dimarzio Cliplock on my mahogany Ibanez, wonderfully light feeling after adding that ;) 
    Congrats on the NGD, looks reet purty that!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Thanks.

I bought a gel pad that fits over my guitar straps last week. It's really good, will probably use it with my camera bags too.