Strat Pickup Ideas?

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
edited June 2015 in Guitar
OK, I am in the process of putting together a number one/workhorse strat. The pickups are really causing me issues. Despite strats being my favourite guitar I have only kept two over the years. One has vintage pickups and the other is the first run Jeff Beck with the 'Dually' in the bridge. Supposedly IIRC rather than being a straight humbucker it is supposed to be two single coils wire in series. For the new build I was going to go with a good classic set as the tones out of my other strat are lovely. However the flexibility of the H/S/S is both appealing and at points a necessity so it makes sense to head that way BUT I want the look of a classic S/S/S layout. Cost isn't really a worry within reason. 

So in short I want something that looks like a single coil, performs like the "Dually" or more likely a powerful SC or a HB, would sit well with two more classic neck and middle pickups and if it's a HB it could be coil split without sounding awful that would be handy too (but not a necessity).   Any suggestions?
My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Will be watching with interest, very similar to what I'm thinking of doing
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    Get an Oil City tapped single coil.

It won't actually be hum-cancelling in the 'full' mode, but it will be a lot hotter and fatter. In the tapped mode it will sound almost exactly like a normal single coil.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23034
    edited June 2015
    So in short I want something that looks like a single coil, performs like the "Dually" or more likely a powerful SC or a HB, would sit well with two more classic neck and middle pickups and if it's a HB it could be coil split without sounding awful that would be handy too (but not a necessity).   Any suggestions?

You want the Moon on a stick.

Could the bridge pickup be a single-coil sized humbucker (Hot Rails, JB Jr, Fast Track or something) or does it actually have to look like a regular single-coil?

If it's the latter, there are powerful single-coils around (including maybe some tappable ones) but I can't think of any stacked humbuckers which would give good split sounds.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    Sounds like you want some kind of overwound single coil with a coil tap to something more vintage.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    talk to Marc @Mojopickups

he is the daddy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    edited June 2015
    I've got an Irongear Steel Twin II in my Tele (I believe they do a similarly mental pickup for the Strat). They say it's "dual coil", but it's actually a tapped single. Full-power is about 16k in the Tele version and 18k in the Strat one...they're bonkers, and great fun. They've got the definition of a single coil, with all the madness of an overwound humbucker, and the advantage that just rolling off the volume makes them into a progressively more sensible single coil.

Oh, and they're about £22. You can't go wrong just trying one.
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27167
    edited June 2015
    Rothwell Hot Little Knob. Replaces your middle tone with a push-pull knob. Down, it's completely stock, but engaged, it gives you various humbucking options using the bridge and middle pickups in series.

I use it with Rio Grande Midbottoms (vintagey neck and middle and hotter, fatter bridge) and I wouldn't be without it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I agree with @ICBM about Oil City Pickups, and I agree with @stickyfiddle about the HLK, I love the HLK and Oil City repaired one of my Jess Loueirro Pickups and rewound it, if I had cash I'd be buying some of his pickups for my G3T right now :)

I use the HLK with a Mojo Pickups version of a Dirty Blonde swapped for the Suhr V60s I had in. Meant I had to lose the SSSC in the Suhr too, worth it for the fat sound of the HLK :)

Also I hate tone controls on the bridge pickup for some reason.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    I had a BKP Sinner in the bridge of one of my Strat's and that was a cracking pickup for rock/blues.
  • frankus;665817" said:
    Also I hate tone controls on the bridge pickup for some reason.
    Smart man. I like my bridge to be bright and cutting, if I want something warmer there is the neck pickup or middle. :)

Started, worryingly, enjoying the middle pickup now...

Oil city could prolly wind you up a tapped pickup.

He's also finalising the design of his first rails single coil sized pickup... Could be very exciting.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited June 2015
    @ICBM do you know if that's the Rock Splitter? Really tempting. @TheGuitarWeasel if you're around how do you reckon it'd compare with the Dually output and can it be worked into an otherwise 62 sounding set?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    edited June 2015
    I've put a Dimarzio BC2 in the bridge, its a rail humbucker tweeked along the lines of the air norton, this thing has huge ammounts of beef and mid range and really works well with gain, the other two singlecoils are stock USA singlecoils and it works very well with them, its 4 conductor too so you could split it in the in between position if you wanted. in short its the best bridge pickup i've ever had in a strat.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I've got an Irongear Steel Twin II in my Tele (I believe they do a similarly mental pickup for the Strat). They say it's "dual coil", but it's actually a tapped single. Full-power is about 16k in the Tele version and 18k in the Strat one...they're bonkers, and great fun. They've got the definition of a single coil, with all the madness of an overwound humbucker, and the advantage that just rolling off the volume makes them into a progressively more sensible single coil.

Oh, and they're about £22. You can't go wrong just trying one.
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say, love the Steel Twin I've got in my Esquire-alike - although are you sure it's a tapped single Lee? Certainly doesn't hum as much as any single-coil I've come across....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26712
    IanSavage said:
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say, love the Steel Twin I've got in my Esquire-alike - although are you sure it's a tapped single Lee? Certainly doesn't hum as much as any single-coil I've come across....
    Yup. From their site:

Note that this is not a humbucker, or a "noiseless" pickup. It's a true single-coil in both low and high output modes and gives all of the clarity you'd expect from a Telecaster® pickup.

<space for hire>
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    IanSavage said:
    Yup. From their site:

Note that this is not a humbucker, or a "noiseless" pickup. It's a true single-coil in both low and high output modes and gives all of the clarity you'd expect from a Telecaster® pickup.

Something new every day! It's REALLY low-noise for a single-coil then; and I might need to check if I've wired my coil-tap on it backwards, what I'd assumed to be the tapped position has a little more hum than the other...
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Just realised I got Ash's tag wrong in my previous post. @TheGuitarWeasel
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I like a SD Lil 59 in the bridge.
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Kinmanns with k9 switching...excellent system. No soldering and quality parts.. Great pickups , noiseless. You can deal direct with Chris kinmann in Australia.
  • I have a set of Di Marzio Shockwave pickups that may well be heading to the classifieds soon that might do what you're after?

They're Malmsteen's signature pups from a (good) few years back and are apparently similar to their HS3's. Can be used with or without the jack socket that has a switchable gain/mid boost in it, meaning they can cover both single coil and humbucker tones. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8748
    ICBM said:
    Get an Oil City tapped single coil.
    This.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.