Drive recommendations

What's Hot
Want to revamp my drive pedals, I play in a band influences by Foals, The Maccabees, Wild Beasts, The National, Modest Mouse, M83...

What I want - 

Low gain overdrive - thinking a Fairfield Barbershop

Main overdrive - thinking a Mad Professor Sweet Honey (I bought the Joyo version to see if I like the sound and I do!)

Splatty fucked up fuzz for noise sections

Pedals I havee already had and don't want again - Tube Screamer, Fulltone OCD, Big Muff

Any cool suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I've got a mint condition Dirty Donny Swollen Pickle in the classifieds, that can go pretty mental.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12925
    Everyone needs a RAT.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nobels ODR-1.

Cheap as chips, yet somehow sounds better than almost any overdrive I can think of. Perfect for your style of music too.

Splatty fuzz-wise, get a Rainger FX Son of Freakenstein then roll your guitar's volume down a bit so it really fights with the pedal's inbuilt noise gate. Super splatty, almost synth-like. Mine will never, ever leave me, it's fuzz nirvana.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I've got one of these that I'm thinking of swopping out for something new and more suited to my new love of hollow-bodied guitars

yours for £1M ono 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Low gain overdrive - Mesa Flux Drive
    Main overdrive - Boss DF-2 (yes I know it's a distortion - it's still the best lead overdrive sound ever)
    Splatty fuzz - ZVex Fuzz Factory

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Great taste, man!
    Stop crying, start buying
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    I've got a mint condition Dirty Donny Swollen Pickle in the classifieds, that can go pretty mental.
    Gosh. I do hope you've seen a doctor about that. Sounds pretty painful.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    For low-to-medium drive you could try a TC MojoMojo.  It gets very saturated and compressy at high gain, which is a bit of an acquired taste, but at lower settings it has a really nice playable crunch.  They're dead cheap at the moment as well.  Needless to say I bought when they were pricier...

You don't see many of them around, perhaps because TC are seen as a more precise, scientificky brand, and the idea of drive doesn't sit well with their image.  Or maybe because it's not called something bizarre like Dr Farmer's Roast Potatoes, like so many drives are these days.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    TIL: So many drives are called Dr Farmer's Roast Potatoes.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Splatty fuzz: The new EHX Octavix octavia 'tribute' looks fun.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've got a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic in the classifieds right now and an EHX Graphic Fuzz.

The SD can do everything from just breaking up to searing lead with two modes and the graphic fuzz can be shaped to give almost any fuzz tone.

Both great pedals.

I can also recommend the Catalinbread DLS, WIIO and the RAH.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Overdrives: there are too many to recommend.
    Splatty fuzz: Fuzz Factory. In fact it'll do smooth fuzz as well as the splatty, velcro like fuzz. Takes a while to find your tone but it pretty much does the lot.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I would look at

Low gain overdrive - Nobels ODR-1 and nothing else to be honest. If I had to say something else EQD White Light

Main overdrive - Okko Diablo, it does just about everything

Splatty fucked up fuzz for noise sections - Langtronics Bone Collector does fucked up splatty noise like no other pedal. ZVEX Fuzz factory is renowned for its mental nature. The Fairfield unpleasant companion can do noise too. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I love my Rockett Archer for low gain/mid gain. Sounds brill through all me amps.