EMG 81/85 wiring

axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
I fancy trying something different but I know nothing about these. The ones that I am looking at seem to come with pots, wiring etc. Can you just put them in any guitar without using the extra gubbins? I want to stick them in a guitar with two vol controls and no tone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    You need to use the correct value pots - 20k I believe, also if its a solderless kit it is a lot easier to just swap everything out - make sure you get the correct style switch though
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    The pots are 25k and you must use them and not regular guitar pots.

If the guitar is wired with a 3 way switch already you re-use the wiring and plug it in to the bus board.  It doesn't take long to wire everything up, the wires clip in to the pots, no soldering required.  You will need a wire stripper to give you a bit of wire to go to the bus board from the pickup selector, but if you don't have a soldering iron you could clip off the original wire and install like that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Basically I want to stick them in my 2 humbucker tele and use two volume controls, so I could drop those two pots in. I might just give it a go for the hell of it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24562
    put the 85 at the bridge and the 81 at the neck.

Much much nicer that way round.